Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MSK1962

Dip in striper stock may herald new limits State to mandate circle hooks, ban gaffs to boost catch and release survivability.

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Seadogg said:

Too bad the state can’t enforce the rules that already exist. Now they want to add more? Morons are gonna keep being morons. 

Amen and gaffs are for blues not striped bass...

21 hours ago, robc22 said:

If you working a boat with a big freeboard the gaff makes thing easier and safer. God sakes I can tell if a fish big enough to gaff. Otherwise, If I'm not sure I'll grab em by the mouth and pull em in. Not rocket science folks............:shrug:

In hindsight, I think a a comm fisherman would know immediately if a fish were of a legal size and gaff and would be more likely to land a questionable without a gaff. 

A rec fisherman on the other hand.....

I bet plenty of sub-28 have been killed by one.

I've been using wide gap hooks for bait since late 60's and no gut hooking.

At my age I'd hate to change just cause some desk ranger with a plump ass said so.

Down Florida targeting redfish too big to keep, everyone keeps a big ass net on board. 

I was out in basically a freshwater bass boat and the guy had a net easy big enough for 40 inchers. Stowed out of the way just fine when not needed.

Seems simple enough, though nets and plugs and tangles do suck, specially in a blitz.

Either way, with the number of baby white sharks targeting hooked fish, I'd not be reaching overboard too far...

51 mins ago, oldgoat said:

I've been using wide gap hooks for bait since late 60's and no gut hooking.

At my age I'd hate to change just cause some desk ranger with a plump ass said so.

They are some of the most dangerous people.......:(

I hate to say this, but another full blown slaughter at the canal this year will bring up a lot more questions about that fishery.

4 hours ago, FEW3 said:

In hindsight, I think a a comm fisherman would know immediately if a fish were of a legal size and gaff and would be more likely to land a questionable without a gaff. 

A rec fisherman on the other hand.....

I bet plenty of sub-28 have been killed by one.

Remember that the commercial limit is 34, not 28.     And yes, one would think that, but it is often not the case.

Just like there are indeed very large numbers of recreational fishermen who do not care for the health of the fish or the fishery, or laws for that matter.

2 hours ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

so to the old pros,you can tell the differance between a 33.75 inch fish and a 34.25 inch fish,better eyes then mine

Yeah i really can........ Just like I can eye the difference between a quahog that is .99 of an inch and one that is 1.01......Done this stuff a long time.........a freakin long time.........

20 hours ago, The Riddler said:

I would think banning of commercial netting for Striped Bass would be a better start. Netting bass to get your daily limit and discard the rest belly up never made any sense to me.

Commercial caught bass can only be taken by rod and reel in Massachusetts. The netting we speak of is when you have a hooked caught bass  along side the boat that instead of gaffing it , you lift it into the boat and verify the minimum length of 34 inches before it goes in the box. A great many boats gaff every fish and in some cases when they go to measure it find that it is not large enough to keep and discaerd it into the water where it goes belly up in the majority of cases. Understanding that any one that keeps a 34 inch fish at the beginning of the day may well find themsleves with a short fish at the end of the day. To be assured that the fish is still legal at the end of the day one almost has to verify that the fish is a little over 34 due to shrinkage. That is why when you are catching fish to sell that it be placed in  an icy salt water slush to maintain the integrity of the fish . :howdy:  

17 hours ago, Gwiz said:

I hate to say this, but another full blown slaughter at the canal this year will bring up a lot more questions about that fishery.

That discussion has already been brought up in some circles , but in the end unless more concerned fishermen speak up it will be a lost cause down the road.

One of the ways some better control can be brought to bear on every one fishing both recreational and commercial is to go to some type of tag system . Each user group would be given so many tags, depending upon what was attempting to be accomplished . Instead of taking one fish each day of legal size for the duration of the season you are issued enough to take one every other day or one every three days or one once a week for the recreational . Each Commercial would be given enough tags that are the same as each days legal removal rate, that are date sensitive to each day of the legal season . If the quota is at 10 fish per day, once those 10 tags are used you are are all done for the day and if you do not use them all up they would not be any good for any other day . The commercial fishermen would not lose any of his quota if the fishing is good that day he will fill his tags and if it is not, he will not. The opportunities would still remain for him to take his legal limit,just as it is today, only each fish will now be tagged . The tagging of fish will be a control on allowing at least the numbers to remain constant being removed for the most part and provide further enforcement regulations for both user groups. Just my thoughts as we begin another cluster striped bass fishing season where many still will continue the same old ways with out any concern for tomorrow and the future