Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MSK1962

Dip in striper stock may herald new limits State to mandate circle hooks, ban gaffs to boost catch and release survivability.

Rate this topic

50 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

thoughts on this article?

Edited by TimS
Please don’t post commercial links here - you can copy/paste the portion you want to discuss, but please don’t post links here - thanks

Nothing wrong with gaffs if the guy/girl using it knows what they are doing.........Circle hooks are great but they don't need to be inline........

The gaff part is likely due to the practice of SOME recr-omercial SB fishhermen who gaff every fish they catch even the ones that are nearly or clearly shorts.

If you working a boat with a big freeboard the gaff makes thing easier and safer. God sakes I can tell if a fish big enough to gaff. Otherwise, If I'm not sure I'll grab em by the mouth and pull em in. Not rocket science folks............:shrug:

3 mins ago, robc22 said:

If you working a boat with a big freeboard the gaff makes thing easier and safer. God sakes I can tell if a fish big enough to gaff. Otherwise, If I'm not sure I'll grab em by the mouth and pull em in. Not rocket science folks............:shrug:

Agreed....its sad that because of a bunch of guys who are so "hungry", the rest of us have to pay the price....and it IS a safety problem, especially at night, by yourself....this should be an enforcement issue- not a penalty against law abiding fishermen who pay attention to the rules.....

2 mins ago, makaha said:

Agreed....its sad that because of a bunch of guys who are so "hungry", the rest of us have to pay the price....and it IS a safety problem, especially at night, by yourself....this should be an enforcement issue- not a penalty against law abiding fishermen who pay attention to the rules.....

Agree 110%

Whatever the reason, finding a way to limit unintended kills of SB should be the goal.

Doubt many disagree with this(though I'm often mistaken). Fewer gaffes, not taking them out of the water whenever possible, crushed barbs, single instead of trebles, etc. etc. etc.

Too bad the state can’t enforce the rules that already exist. Now they want to add more? Morons are gonna keep being morons. 

46 mins ago, Seadogg said:

Too bad the state can’t enforce the rules that already exist. Now they want to add more? Morons are gonna keep being morons. 

:th:

Net instead of a gaff and circle hooks for bait is fine by me.  I'm sure most people on this site their hand for stripers.  I save the gaff for blues.

The use of a net works out just as well when bringing in fish of disputed size. A gaff has its time under some conditions, however netting them makes it much better for the fish in the end especially if the fish is short , no matter what the species may be . Granted when things get hectic a gaff is faster . Any one whom has fished for awhile should have been able to know the difference in legal and not legal, but unfortunately for some they were all legal and got stuck , only to be released and be crab bait . For now a good change if it comes.

I would think banning of commercial netting for Striped Bass would be a better start. Netting bass to get your daily limit and discard the rest belly up never made any sense to me.