Linesideslayer

Father B-day Striper Sashimi

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

My fathers 69th (great number huh huh Beavis) Birthday is today and wanted to surprise him with a special appetizer. He is a big sashimi fan when we eat at sushi restaurants and since I just got a few fresh stripers the other day, decided to cut out the prime cuts of belly & top loin meat and make some sushi for him. When I caught the fish they were bled right away and I carried a bag of ice, gutted them on the beach and then filled their belly and around the bodies immediately with ice. When I got home filleted them and then cut out the choice pieces. Into ziplock bag & Froze the meat for three days to -2 degrees in my freezer (this ensures most parasites are killed for safety sake) and then thawed them out in my fridge over night. Served with my homemade pickled ginger (rice wine vinegar+thin sliced ginger marinated 24 hrs) and some wasabi & spicy korean BBQ Nori & light sprinkling of Cayenne Pepper for bite! Big Jim Spearo, eat your heart out! Hope he enjoys it, heading to his house for dinner now, thought I would share with the West Coast. 

IMG_4037 (1).JPG

IMG_4038.JPG

3 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

My fathers 69th (great number huh huh Beavis) Birthday is today and wanted to surprise him with a special appetizer. He is a big sashimi fan when we eat at sushi restaurants and since I just got a few fresh stripers the other day, decided to cut out the prime cuts of belly & top loin meat and make some sushi for him. When I caught the fish they were bled right away and I carried a bag of ice, gutted them on the beach and then filled their belly and around the bodies immediately with ice. When I got home filleted them and then cut out the choice pieces. Into ziplock bag & Froze the meat for three days to -2 degrees in my freezer (this ensures most parasites are killed for safety sake) and then thawed them out in my fridge over night. Served with my homemade pickled ginger (rice wine vinegar+thin sliced ginger marinated 24 hrs) and some wasabi & spicy korean BBQ Nori & light sprinkling of Cayenne Pepper for bite! Big Jim Spearo, eat your heart out! Hope he enjoys it, heading to his house for dinner now, thought I would share with the West Coast. 

IMG_4037 (1).JPG

IMG_4038.JPG

Ok, I’ll say it,  you da man!

nice!

Great post. I have done Striper sashimi a few times. I have 2 questions. How necessary is it to freeze the fish to kill the parasites? I have never done that.  Does freezing the fish change the consistency and or taste the meat.

Thanks Lee

Posted (edited) · Report post

45 mins ago, weatherguy777 said:

Great post. I have done Striper sashimi a few times. I have 2 questions. How necessary is it to freeze the fish to kill the parasites?

Freezing to kill parasites in raw striper is very much a good idea.  Hold a striper filet up to the light.  Especially the rib cage  and belly section of the right side striper fillet.  If that ain't enough to scare you into freezing before eating raw striper, you're a braver man than I.  Personally I prefer the loin or back strap of large perch fillets for sashimi.  Good flavor and almost buttery texture.  Prefer it to mushy fried perch.

Edited by bass11

6 hours ago, weatherguy777 said:

Great post. I have done Striper sashimi a few times. I have 2 questions. How necessary is it to freeze the fish to kill the parasites? I have never done that.  Does freezing the fish change the consistency and or taste the meat.

Thanks Lee

Lee a lot of people do not realize that almost all sushi raw fish is flash frozen and thawed before serving. If you have had "fresh" fish at any sushi place in order to be graded by the FDA sushi grade and therefore safe & legal to serve raw to the public it has to be flash frozen first. Read the NY times article below on this subject. Does this mean there are not sushi joints serving up raw fish illegally that has not been frozen first or past its shelf life, well of course. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/08/nyregion/sushi-fresh-from-the-deep-the-deep-freeze.html

Falsh freezing is also done at a -80F temp, not 32F from a household freezer.   You can do this with dry ice if you don't have access to a proper freezer.  -80.   ;)

If you don’t have flash freezer it might not help freezing it as it needs to reach a certain temperature to kill anything. That being said, I just normally avoid using belly part for sashimi or ceviche, and I do think freezing with house freezer does change the texture taste. I suggest aging the fillet in fridge for 1-2 days for better sashimi.. I know sushi restaurants do this for couple of days as it is suppose to give the sashimi more flavor and tenderness? I guess like dried aged beef but not that long haha. I normally use striper to make ceviche though, and only time I did striper sashimi was during the summer when they have fattened up on the chovies.