rathrbefishn

Goodmand furnace not lighting

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

So the good thing is tomorrow will be warm and I have fireplaces and another zone.  Bad thing is my 4 year old furnace won't light.  Air handler runs fine.  I removed the panel and the indicator light is steady = no error code.  Shortly after startup I see the ignitor glow but then it stops-  no burner ever lights.  Any quick tips to try before I try to track down a repair guy?  Full confession-  I haven't had this thing serviced more than once early on, so I don't know if there was any routine PM that I've missed. Good. about that 4" filer I mentioned but other than that and changing the UV bulb I've not really done anything.  

Thanks for any thoughts?

The igniter is the same as the pilot? The thermocouple detects the heat from there?

I would clean it with a little Emory cloth or sandpaper or whatever you got. Power off and on and see if it fires. 

44 mins ago, Kml said:

The igniter is the same as the pilot? The thermocouple detects the heat from there?

I would clean it with a little Emory cloth or sandpaper or whatever you got. Power off and on and see if it fires. 

No pilot light- ignitor gets hot and fires up gas.  When not running there is not pilot flame.  might be able to try cleaning ignitor

Strange that there's no error code. I would guess that the ignitor is bad. Try changing that first, they're fairly cheap, usually <$30. Should only be a screw or 2, easy swap. And if that doesn't work you can always return it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

There is guys around here that know stuff let’s hope one of them jump in.

there is something in there that needs to tell the gas valve that is ok to unleash the gas. What is that? 
I would focus there. 

Edited by Kml

37 mins ago, chitala383 said:

Strange that there's no error code. I would guess that the ignitor is bad. Try changing that first, they're fairly cheap, usually <$30. Should only be a screw or 2, easy swap. And if that doesn't work you can always return it.

Would  still see a glow if the ignitor was bad?  

8 mins ago, rathrbefishn said:

Would  still see a glow if the ignitor was bad?  

Yes, the ignitor will still get hot and glow, it just might not be getting hot enough.

pulled the ignitor.  Nothing obvious.  Very gently cleaned with alcohol and wet-dry paper. Restistance of 47 ohms.  Heard some clicks when I turned furnace on, ignitor glowed, then another click, but no ignition..Worth replacing ignitor?

1. OK.  So new ignitor installed and unfortunately that doesn't solve it.  I pulled the gas rail (or whatever it is called so that I could listen to the orifices over the sound of the fan.  I didn't hear any gas either before or after the ignitor glowed.  Any tips on anything else I might do to diagnose?  No flashing lights/ error codes.  i'm guessing either a bad gas valve or the valve isn't getting the signal from the board.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Bad gas valve. If ignitor glows means everything is good to go. You can check for 24 volts at gas valve terminals posts. I wouldn't have 'cleaned' ignitor most are made of ceramic and will crack or get damaged. 

Edited by rdbass

8 hours ago, rdbass said:

Bad gas valve. If ignitor glows means everything is good to go. You can check for 24 volts at gas valve terminals posts. I wouldn't have 'cleaned' ignitor most are made of ceramic and will crack or get damaged. 

What is that other electrical connection that gets completed after the blower runs to let the gas valve release the gas.

It is like a diaphragm or vaum actuated thing.

I had one like that go bad once.