HighEndHooker

Drone for scouting

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

I pull up to spot about an hour ago, and I see this guy putting his waders on and start messing around with something in the parking lot. Sure enough, a drone flys up and starts scouting the mud flat, as he’s watching it in real time on a screen. I walked to the spot (maybe a 10-15 minute walk) and he never showed up, but I saw his drone fly over head back to him as I was walking. What are your thoughts on this? 

They can be useful, and a fun hobby, but the laws regarding drone use can get kind of tricky. There are both federal and state regulations to abide by, and in some areas (like state parks) it is illegal to fly them at all. I know that there is a licensing procedure for hobby and commercial use, but I am not terribly familiar with the procedures. People fly them all the time, though, so I do not know how strictly the rules are enforced.

17 hours ago, HighEndHooker said:

I pull up to spot about an hour ago, and I see this guy putting his waders on and start messing around with something in the parking lot. Sure enough, a drone flys up and starts scouting the mud flat, as he’s watching it in real time on a screen. I walked to the spot (maybe a 10-15 minute walk) and he never showed up, but I saw his drone fly over head back to him as I was walking. What are your thoughts on this? 

A lot of people use them to make youtube content. They can help identify structure but so can a trained eye. Ive seen some videos use them to drop bait beyond casting range. IMO I find them somewhat obnoxious. Also I think the best way to scout a spot is to actually wet a line. 

Saw a guy using it once to drop his plugs out into a blitz that was out of casting range.  His gf then took over the drone and he went on to catch fish......more power to them as long as he doesnt interfere with my fishing 

In theory, I think drones are cool as hell, I've spent some time talking to people while they were flying, their capabilities are pretty wild, whole lotta tech keeping that thing flying.....in practice, when I'm fishing a jetty and a drone keeps making passes to film surfers while they sit on their boards, it's a giant noisy distraction. But, I'm old, and grumpy.

I have one...Mavic Pro...mostly for aerial photography and/or video...yes, there are restrictions and they are built in the app that controls the drone. So if you try to fly one say near the airport you will not be able to take off...never tried to use it for fishing yet...however I did launch it once from the kayak in LI Sound last summer and got a great footage.

There was a fella 3 Springs ago buzzing up and down the RB bayshore.  Most speculated he was scouting on active fisherman, myself included, however upon closer inspection as I was wrapping up for the night at my car I saw the drone owner bring his unit back in, packed it up an away he went.  Nothing about the man gave me the impression he was a fisherman.  Think he just had a very expensive toy and he was enjoying using it. 

I have the DJI Spark, which I like a lot. Its cheap(relatively to other drones) and small. I use it for mostly photography/video purposes but its very easy to fly and could be useful for scouting. 

Only knock on the spark is the battery life is not great (get about 15 mins of flight out of a full charge) so your not doing that much scouting with a few batteries.

Also I very rarely fly mine around other people as I also find it kind of annoying. Obviously not everyone follows that etiquette but same could be said for just about everything.

I was fishing on a jetty one night last fall and I just happened to look up and there was a Drone hovering about 20 feet over my head.     It took off right after I spotted it ....

On 3/11/2019 at 9:31 AM, Ed White said:

In theory, I think drones are cool as hell, I've spent some time talking to people while they were flying, their capabilities are pretty wild, whole lotta tech keeping that thing flying.....in practice, when I'm fishing a jetty and a drone keeps making passes to film surfers while they sit on their boards, it's a giant noisy distraction. But, I'm old, and grumpy.

It took RC airplanes to another level.

Personally as long as its not in my casting radius I could careless. But remember some folks get upset of people watch how/where they are fishing too long.

On 3/14/2019 at 8:47 AM, UncleJohn said:

I was fishing on a jetty one night last fall and I just happened to look up and there was a Drone hovering about 20 feet over my head.     It took off right after I spotted it ....

ALIENS!!!!

I’m going to give it a shot this year because of health reasons.. At first I’m going to find a remote beach so I won’t bother anybody till I get used to it .

You got until 5/31 to do that. If not  mornings fishing up around 11am would be your best bet. Idiots on the beach season starts memorial day weekend.

Hope the health issues improve.