Misled

Beach Erosion

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Went out today and holy smokes, dare I say a third of the beach is gone?  I've been coming to this part of the beach for years and have never seen it like this.  The waters edge looks like the dunes.  I know we've had storms this winter but darn.  This will definitely affect the loads of trucks that come to this area to bbq and hang out. 

So where is the erosion? I live an hour from the beach. I ask as a Metal Detector guy-so I don't think the spot burn applies- or if you want to answer in a PM that would be cool.

50 mins ago, Gatr522 said:

So where is the erosion? I live an hour from the beach. I ask as a Metal Detector guy-so I don't think the spot burn applies- or if you want to answer in a PM that would be cool.

Almost certain it is Brigantine/North Brigantine 

All the sand that was pumped on the North end two summers ago is long gone, it's collected somewhat around million dollar pier / shifted south and east.

All the sand that was pumped down beach in Ventnor, Margate, and Longport is now choking off inlets and building beach where there's already plenty of beach.

It is viscous cycle that ultimately is a detriment to inshore habitat and fishing. 

Pumping alone does squat. The sand is going to move.

The ACOE needs to take the hard road and start building structure to hold the sand or just let it go and see where nature takes us. 

22 hours ago, Gatr522 said:

you guys are correct Brigantine, but the south end.  I didn't want to mention it originally as I didn't know for sure if it was spot burning and didn't want to be the guy that gets the ire for it.  but yeah, it's a shame, I don't see how all the trucks from prior years all fit there now.  Also, the bend heading toward the jetty is now the width of just 2 trucks at high tide if I remember correctly.  Haven't been to the north end yet.

Thanks. 

If there ever is a spot burn question to a thread you can always address it via PM.

If I can get away I may give it a look this week.

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/10/2019 at 5:03 PM, Misled said:

you guys are correct Brigantine, but the south end.  I didn't want to mention it originally as I didn't know for sure if it was spot burning and didn't want to be the guy that gets the ire for it.  but yeah, it's a shame, I don't see how all the trucks from prior years all fit there now.  Also, the bend heading toward the jetty is now the width of just 2 trucks at high tide if I remember correctly.  Haven't been to the north end yet.

North end isn't too bad, mainly because all of the sand recently pumped in LBI arrived.  The **** they pumped last year was gone within a few storms.  I was down at Wreck during a blowout in January.  It was crazy.  If I had my waders I could probably walk within 100 yards of Little Beach.  I've lived here for over 40 years and I've never seen Wreck Inlet that bad.

Edited by smell my mule

Few towns down... but here was one of the beach access paths.... about a 12' cliff where there was a ramp in the fall.   Can only fit one car through there at high tide now. It is like this for about 6 blocks towards the southern inlet.

IMG_2775.JPG