jjp5

Saltwater fly fishing in Boston

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I will be in a staying a few days a week in downtown Boston, a lot, starting in a few weeks. Most of my saltwater time is in California. Any ideas for before work, long lunch, and after dinner adventures. 

I have no idea but I do know that Jack Gartside wrote a book called “the fly fisherman's guide to boston harbor” . 

I’d probably try to secure a copy of that. 

It is still a little early for saltwater in this area. Unless you get lucky and find a spot to fish for holdover stripers, and then get real lucky and catch one (those who fish for them keep their spots close to their chest). Around here the magic number is 50 degrees water temperature. Once that number hits, it's usually a good indicator that there should be some activity. Aside from spotty holdovers, I usually catch my first fresh migrator fish, of good size, a little before Mother's Day, and I'm usually down Cape when that happens.

After that it's usually a week before a decent population of fish start showing up in the Boston Harbor area. At least in my experience. Obviously there is no "always" and no "never" in fishing, but another good indicator on when to really get after it is when the area herring runs start to fill up with good numbers.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I had the most memorable day of my medical school existence, before my 8 AM lecture......which I made.....catching my first ever and 13 more newly arrived schoolies in the Saugus River below the Boston & Maine railroad bridge.....in front of a rowdy, frustrated, and progressively aggressive crowd of "townies" who could NOT fish because the super-high tide had floated off tons of marsh grass which fouled their poppers and plugs....but I COULD using a shooting head with mono running line which sawed its way through the short, floaty grass and kept the streamer clean.  None of them had ever seen a fly rod before, much less CATCHING fish when they could not EVEN fish.  And I had my college and medical school stickers on my car, which in that makeshift parking area, stood out among the beaters like, well, a fly rod at a spin fishermen's convention.  My waders stood out somewhat in the lecture hall as well, even way up in the back.

But that was 48 years ago.

Edited by Peter Patricelli

3 hours ago, jjp5 said:

I will be in a staying a few days a week in downtown Boston, a lot, starting in a few weeks. Most of my saltwater time is in California. Any ideas for before work, long lunch, and after dinner adventures. 

There are several guides who do short trips and will pick up Downtown or Seaport.  That is your best option.  Contrary to popular belief big fish arrive pretty early.  I have alway caught a keeper by May 15th in the Boston Harbor area except last tear which took me until May 20th.  We had a record cold winter though so hence run was 2 weeks behind

7 hours ago, Kml said:

I have no idea but I do know that Jack Gartside wrote a book called “the fly fisherman's guide to boston harbor” . 

I’d probably try to secure a copy of that. 

Google Jack and inquire about the Boston Harbor book, the website says it’s out of stock and will be back spring 2018, guess they don’t update very often.  It would definitely be worth the trouble  to track down a copy, Jack was THE expert on the Harbor.

JC

1 hour ago, JonC said:

Google Jack and inquire about the Boston Harbor book, the website says it’s out of stock and will be back spring 2018, guess they don’t update very often.  It would definitely be worth the trouble  to track down a copy, Jack was THE expert on the Harbor.

JC

They are always out of stock try WTB/WTS forumn to see if someone will part with their copy.  Thatnis your best bet

I think your best bet will be the after dinner adventures. The inner harbor (downtown Boston) has fish but much of the access is elevated well above the water line or high bridges making landing fish an issue. The towns just North and South of the city have access and more traditional terrain like beaches, jetties and marshes. Plenty of fish to be caught while admiring the Boston skyline. Good luck 

Posted (edited) · Report post

When looking at the map, pay close attention to Winthrop, it’s a peninsula, so it offers a lot of different exposures within a very short distance, it’s also where Jack Gartside chose to live which should speak volumes. There’s an estuary right where you go onto the peninsula that should be explored. All this is covered in his book.

JC

Edited by JonC

There are a bunch of quasi-public docks in Boston Harbor that, but for summer and weekends, are underutilized.  You can always walk down to a float with no boats and cast away until you get the boot.  I'd bet no one gives you the boot before 8 a.m. on a weekday, if at all.

I you're still here in mid to late May, I'd give Deer Island a try. It's a 5 min drive from the airport. There is a small parking lot, and you can easily walk the perimeter to find a spot that works with the wind.

Not spot burning! If 50 guys showed up, there would still be plenty of room!