IFish4Free

Visit to Montauk

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Thank you for the tip and heads up guys, I really appreciate it.  Before SOL I’ve never seen or heard of Danny, or the term ‘plug’.  I’ve since purchase several from SOL and eBay, hoping to practice with it before heading to the ‘Mecca’.

If you're in a rental car parking is going to be impossible at the point at night; you won't have the permit. Great reason to hook up with a guide. Daytime is sometimes good in September too, especially at dawn.  Even if the fishing is slow, a walk along the shore heading west from the point is beautiful. Another thing to look at is the excellent party boats out there; quite a fleet with great fishing for stripers, blues, fluke, porgies, etc. Only problem there is catch and release might not be a possibility.....

3 mins ago, cbchurch said:

quite a fleet with great fishing for stripers, blues, fluke, porgies, etc. Only problem there is catch and release might not be a possibility.....

I'd offer another solution here.  If you are dragging yourself all the way out and you are not a 100% dedicated surfcaster there are a bunch of charter boats that run open charters.  It's a bit more $$$ but a far better experience all around. A decent day on a charter boat, you will fish a rip and get some bass then go load up on sea bass and fluke.  That's a nice day that's nearly impossible to have a party boat.

Posted (edited) · Report post

34 mins ago, cbchurch said:

If you're in a rental car parking is going to be impossible at the point at night; you won't have the permit. Great reason to hook up with a guide. Daytime is sometimes good in September too, especially at dawn.  Even if the fishing is slow, a walk along the shore heading west from the point is beautiful. Another thing to look at is the excellent party boats out there; quite a fleet with great fishing for stripers, blues, fluke, porgies, etc. Only problem there is catch and release might not be a possibility.....

I was going to say that they sell a 7 night permit ($25), but it’s only sold from memorial-labor day. Rest of the season you need the full night sport fishing permit ($35 resident, $60 non resident). 

I personally get enjoyment from learning new spots on my own. I get to Montauk maybe every other year, and have still had some good days. There is endless literature on how to fish every nook and cranny of montauk.  A guide greatly increases your chance of success, but it’s still a worthwhile trip if you want to wing it on your own. As long as you temper your expectations to reflect the current state of the fishery, which is far from just a Montauk problem. And stay safe, which could be the best part of hiring an experienced guide.

Edited by C.Robin

pretty good odds that there will be some sort of swell from a hurricane somewhere, that can help if not huge, whitewater and 3/4 oz bucktail somewhere on the south side is a good bet. If too big, surfing the north side is always an option.

5 hours ago, cbchurch said:

yes, glad I caught it when I did; 1969 to 2006 or so........

That was awesome. Everyday after 3 PM big blitzes around camp Hero. Boiling water in front and in your back if you waded few yards. 

On 3/9/2019 at 2:03 AM, IFish4Free said:

Hey guys, I’m new to surf fishing and seen a lot of videos/post about Montauk.  I will be visiting New York mid September and would love to spend 1-2 days fishing Montauk.  I’m looking for a spinning travel rod to pair with my Penn Slammer 3 6500, leaning towards the St. Croix travel rod I see on Tackle Direct.  Is there any recommendations or suggestions, the rating I see on the St. Croix seems a bit ‘weak’ for the large stripers I tend to see at Montauk.

Any inputs would be highly appreciated.

Thank you 

To answer your original question, that rod will be just fine. Like others have mentioned, the fishing can be good "as seen on TV", but has not lived up to the hype. If you're going to hire a guide, maybe that guide has a rod they can lend you. If not and you're fishing daytime, that St Croix will do the job 100%. I would buy the 10ft version, not the 9ft. Like others have said, don't expect 30-40lb fish in September during the day. Bluefish for sure, false albacore maybe, and perhaps a shot at bass, big ones possibly hitting the 30" size. It could vary, but even if you do tie into a big fish, that rod should handle it.

Tight lines!

Before you set your sights on Montauk, here's a good thread to read: (keep scrolling- there are huge spaces between the paragraphs)

Edited by davef

How old are you and what kind of shape are you in? I ask this because Montauk can be one of the most physically demanding places to fish especially if you move around a lot. If you are just going to fish the sand/surfer beach you can disregard. If you plan to walk a lot and scout areas you must have korkers and a wading pole is also a good idea. As for physical condition you will not believe how tired you can get trying to balance on wet slippery rocks even with korkers on. I have left Montauk multiple times and had my quads and hamstrings cramp up on me in the car to the point I had to pull over and work the cramps out.

1 hour ago, MorningWood said:

How old are you and what kind of shape are you in? I ask this because Montauk can be one of the most physically demanding places to fish especially if you move around a lot. If you are just going to fish the sand/surfer beach you can disregard. If you plan to walk a lot and scout areas you must have korkers and a wading pole is also a good idea. As for physical condition you will not believe how tired you can get trying to balance on wet slippery rocks even with korkers on. I have left Montauk multiple times and had my quads and hamstrings cramp up on me in the car to the point I had to pull over and work the cramps out.

I’ll be 39 at the time of the visit.  And I should be in very good shape.  The reason I wanted to stop by Montauk was to just experience a large Striper.  Largest I’ve ever landed was a 9-10lber :) anything in the teens, especially from the surf would be awsome since I’m new to surf, been fishing from boat.  I was actually in the Vermont area running a Spartan race at Killington then drive to the Mecca either Sunday or Monday night..... if New England Patriots are playing it’ll be Monday :laugh:

i might just postpone my visit til my 40th birthday celebration and spend more time out in Montauk, since my flight home to California is Tuesday.  I look forward to the physical conditions, it’s part of the adventure and I look at it as ‘ I did it’ memories.   

Thank you for the replies everyone.

Yea a big bass is by no means a guarantee in Montauk; it could happen but I wouldn't hold my breathe. Daytime fishing reduces that chance. Fishing at night w/a guide would definitely up your chances. Guides aren't terribly expensive either, especially if you are considering that they may help deliver what you want in a big bass.

Edited by TopwaterPete