IFish4Free

Visit to Montauk

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I’m new to surf fishing and seen a lot of videos/post about Montauk.  I will be visiting New York mid September and would love to spend 1-2 days fishing Montauk.  I’m looking for a spinning travel rod to pair with my Penn Slammer 3 6500, leaning towards the St. Croix travel rod I see on Tackle Direct.  Is there any recommendations or suggestions, the rating I see on the St. Croix seems a bit ‘weak’ for the large stripers I tend to see at Montauk.

Any inputs would be highly appreciated.

Thank you 

3 hours ago, ThuanTran said:

Hey guys, I’m new to surf fishing and seen a lot of videos/post about Montauk.  I will be visiting New York mid September and would love to spend 1-2 days fishing Montauk.  I’m looking for a spinning travel rod to pair with my Penn Slammer 3 6500, leaning towards the St. Croix travel rod I see on Tackle Direct.  Is there any recommendations or suggestions, the rating I see on the St. Croix seems a bit ‘weak’ for the large stripers I tend to see at Montauk.

Any inputs would be highly appreciated.

Thank you 

Try to hire Bill Weztel as your guide when you come to NY.  If you don’t know Montauk he can get you on the fish. 

11 hours ago, FlatWing said:

I do not have any personal experience with travel surf rods, but have read good things about the Daiwa Ardito Travel Surf Rods.

That was my second option behind the St. Croix.  Thank you 

7 hours ago, mike3dr said:

Try to hire Bill Weztel as your guide when you come to NY.  If you don’t know Montauk he can get you on the fish. 

I’ve seen his interview on YouTube, totally passionate about surf fishing for stripe bass.  Thank you 

Posted (edited) · Report post

50 mins ago, ThuanTran said:

I’ve seen his interview on YouTube, totally passionate about surf fishing for stripe bass.  Thank you 

That’s probably the only chance for you to get fish...Montauk fishing is not as it used to be. You will need a guide on your first trip if catching fish is your main goal.

Edited by levari

I'd talk to Bill too. If you dont know the area, it ain't easy. Hes gonna make you work for it, but it could pay off. Last season was very slow out there though.

In September most likely you will run into Bluefish on tins & poppers, wear korkers and give other anglers their space. Observe other fishermen for a while before entering the water and copy the guy that's hooking up on every cast. Outgoing tide is best on the Northside and incoming on the Southside. Weapons of choice, poppers, tins, bucktails and darters mostly at night. On calm nights with current always throw a small Danny plug, good luck & catch large

Thank you for the tip and heads up guys, I really appreciate it.  Before SOL I’ve never seen or heard of Danny, or the term ‘plug’.  I’ve since purchase several from SOL and eBay, hoping to practice with it before heading to the Mecca :)

5 hours ago, levari said:

That’s probably the only chance for you to get fish...Montauk fishing is not as it used to be. You will need a guide on your first trip if catching fish is your main goal.

Tend to agree.  Your main problem will most certainly NOT be having your rod not sufficient for the fish. Research the parking permits.  It's kinda confusing at first.  Upper and lower lot parking at the point are probably your best bet.  (Assuming you are sleeping in truck or camper out there.  Especially for two days, it's not productive to go back to your cozy hotel just in time to wake up and get coffee so you can make a tide at 2:30 AM.

If you are really going out there to catch decent fish in mid September you'll likely need to be fishing a night tide. Having a an experienced guide like Wetzel will help put you in front of the fish and cuts the learning curve in half. Walking out into a Montauk surf in the dark and focusing on fish is the other half. The last several mid Septembers have been consistent with tropical storms and changing weather patterns. The fish are around but the weather is always a game changer especially if you're not used to fishing in a rough surf in the dark.  Good luck.

Here are the possible fishing permits. Fees may have changed slightly 

NYS 4x4 Annual State Night Parking $110 ($65 Resident) - 4x4 Access to Lighthouse area and North Side as well as access to Hither Hills, Napeague and other State beaches across Long Island. Ph 631-668-5000

NYS Camp Hero Annual $75 Non Resident ($40 Resident) - South Side Night Parking

NYS Park Daily Parking $8 - Daily Fee Parking Lighthouse and Camp Hero (yes, despite having a night permit, a parking fee is collected during daytime hours).

NYS 7-Day “Visitor Fishing” Parking Pass $ 25 - Lighthouse Parking Only. Walk-on Access to North and South Sides, Memorial Day - Labor Day. 

NYS Fall 48-Hour Non-Resident Parking Pass $55.

Suffolk County Outer Beach 4x4 Annual Non-Resident $250, Annual Resident $100 (with $30 Green Key), which also covers other Suffolk beaches. Ph 631-852-7879 

Suffolk County Outer Beach 4x4 Day Pass Non-Resident $44 ($33 Resident)

East Hampton Annual Non-Resident Beach Parking Permit $375 ph 631-668-5081

East Hampton Annual Non-Resident “Drive-On” Permit $275

Notes:

Some permits require proof of enrollment in the NY State Marine Recreational Fishing Registry.

Always call ahead to confirm (1) permits are still available and (2) the beaches you are interested in fishing are not closed.