Misled

Split rings

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Picked up a #1 Deadly Dick.  Just by looking at it I could tell the split rings needed an upgrade.  But holy crap!  After I removed them they never fully snapped back to shape and now have gaps.  The Owners I replaced them with are perfect.  This got me thinking, should I be replacing split rings on everything I have?  I've done a few of them but certainly not all.  And also, has anyone had the original DD split rings warp during a fight?

Factory hardware can often be cheaper than what you'd put on yourself. Let's face it, quality hardware is going to cost more and the factory is looking to spend the least and make the most. Nothing unusual insplit rings and hooks getting mangled. That's why they sell aftermarket hardware;.so you can make sure it won't fail again. I should note that the worst hardware failure I had on a plug was last year. Good fish tore the hook hanger right off the bottom of a plug. Quality Plastic popper. Molded in hook hanger. Hook and split ring gone and only one side of the hook hanger was still in the plug. Disappointing but still happy to have hooked a good fish.

I have several deadly dick lures, and other metal casting lures...first thing I do is replace with quality split rings and hooks...factory hooks and rings just don't hold up and don't want to take chance of losing a fish of a lifetime catch because of cheap components...in my humble opinion ...

makes a lot of sense.  I did a bunch of my plugs with Owners split rings and VMC singles at the rear.  Definitely need to do a thorough inspection though. 

5 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

Any particular brand of split rings better than others?  Triple rings worth it?  Thanks

I think Wolverine makes the triple rings and from my knowledge these are not as strong. Cant go wrong with Rosco split rings

Posted (edited) · Report post

Rasco. That is not a misspelling! Rasco as opposed to Rosco. Rosco is also a quality product but when available I use Rasco.

Marc

Edited by mml4

51 mins ago, mml4 said:

Rasco. That is not a misspelling! Rasco as opposed to Rosco. Rosco is also a quality product but when available I use Rasco.

Marc

^^ This. Most of my plugs get Rascoe 5.5H.

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 hours ago, CarpeDiem said:

Any particular brand of split rings better than others?  Triple rings worth it?  Thanks

I use triples on every wood swimmer I make/have.

for plastic plugs I use the standard type rated to 90lbs.

never had any problem with the triples at all.

size 6.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

I like and used Rosco/Rasco and Wolverine. When sized appropriately, I have never had a problem with any of them. There are certainly heavier duty versions (offshore stuff/jig'n'pop) like owner and others. They are overkill for bass imho.

PS- Rosco/Rasco, I only use the 'H' version.

I have used every brand mentioned in this thread so far and have been happy with all of them. Was given some Owner split rings and liked them as well, but too expensive for me to buy when other less expensive alternatives are as good. 

I replace rings on most of my gear from day 1.. big plugs get wolverine rings. I like the centaur rings for everything else. In centaurs I mostly use 80lb and 100lb and I've never had one open on me.. 

Deadly dicks come rigged with some of the worst hardware I've ever seen. The rings will bend open on any decent fish and if the ring does happen to hold, the hooks will bend out... 

How about barrel swivels? I’m looking to replace my split rings, add barrel swivels with VMC 4x trebles.

thank you for the inputs