aneary

Fly fishing for Sharks

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

On 3/8/2019 at 10:35 PM, Mike West said:

Looks like a Valentine to me.  I had a 350 till it was stolen.

they don’t get a lot of attention/marketing But they are a fine reel and still made today.

Those are Valentine reels for 350’s for sure, very distinctive drag knobs. That was my first salt water reel. They had a silent drag which I did not like.

1 hour ago, bonefishdick said:

Those are Valentine reels for 350’s for sure, very distinctive drag knobs. That was my first salt water reel. They had a silent drag which I did not like.

Actually those are the larger Valentine Classic models,   Model 400 Anti-Reverse.

HT

I tried it recently while boat fishing in FL

was a blast

just need to chum

ill be doing more of it this summer up by me

In the west Squid flies have been known to catch Leopard Shark! I tried it at South Shore Beach in Alameda, Ca. with no success. But I was wading using a 12 wt. The fly I was using was a articulated anchovy about 8" long. I did see some about 30 feet from me but I think that the fly was too long. I could of chummed but didn't. I did tie some squid flies but didn't use them the one time I tried fly fishing for sharks :)

Thanks again for all the reply's. I'm going to tie up a few bright flys and a couple big poppers and see what happens. Like local said hopefully only lose a fly or leader and not the line. When they are on the feed they seem to go after pretty much everything. I'm thinking a big white headed fly with red hackle tail would be interesting, imitating a fish that has been bitten in half, which happens all the time when the bite is on. Will post if I have any success. 

I think that when it comes to fly fishing for sharks you have to be very picky on where, when and what sharks to target. Very good sport when done right. Use barbless hooks that are preferably of a circle hook type so you get a smooth hook up right on the corner of the mouth. That way you can easily get the hook out with long long pliers and you don't have to leave any hardware in. Circle type hooks work very well on fish like sharks as they almost everytime turn after the bite.

Here's a pic of a very aggressive bronzie caught on my latest trip. That's about as big as I want to catch when it comes to sharks. Big sharks are just no fun. There's really zero point in targeting sharks over 100lb. The perfect size IMHO is 40-70lb fish with the occasional 80-90lb fish in the mix. Fish that size will give you a much more exiting fight, cooler takes and can be handled quickly enough to make sense.

a-41.jpg

23 mins ago, jabster said:

I think that when it comes to fly fishing for sharks you have to be very picky on where, when and what sharks to target. Very good sport when done right. Use barbless hooks that are preferably of a circle hook type so you get a smooth hook up right on the corner of the mouth. That way you can easily get the hook out with long long pliers and you don't have to leave any hardware in. Circle type hooks work very well on fish like sharks as they almost everytime turn after the bite.

Here's a pic of a very aggressive bronzie caught on my latest trip. That's about as big as I want to catch when it comes to sharks. Big sharks are just no fun. There's really zero point in targeting sharks over 100lb. The perfect size IMHO is 40-70lb fish with the occasional 80-90lb fish in the mix. Fish that size will give you a much more exiting fight, cooler takes and can be handled quickly enough to make sense.

a-41.jpg

Totally agree Jabster, shark fishing should be all about a good release, knowing how to get the fish back in the water quickly and cleanly is more important than knowing how to catch one.

22 hours ago, HillTop said:

Actually those are the larger Valentine Classic models,   Model 400 Anti-Reverse.

HT

Since either you or your dad made them we bow to your knowledge.

mike