aneary

Fly fishing for Sharks

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Curious if anyone has done any surf fishing for sharks with the long rod. I live in FL and see quite a few sharks in the surf, I think I’d like to try and catch one and was curious about flys to use. Anyone? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Unless you're in back of a shrimp trawler I suspect the best way is by chumming.    We did that back, I think in the 80's with a Captain Dave Prebble out of Snug Harbor in RI.   A very knowledgeable captain who did a lot of shark charters.   I believe he wrote a number of articles on shark fishing, etc.    

I've done it twice with him and we ended up about 8 miles east of Block Island chumming for a hour or so and then next thing you know there's dozens of blue sharks all around the boat.   Not used to that and at first it was a little disconcerting bobbing around with no where to go with that many sharks.     We caught dozens of sharks one trip, averaging from 8' to 10' in length.   A decent tug with a couple of 100 yard runs each but then that's where the fun ends and the battle begins.    My largest, about 10' took me an hour and 15 minutes to bring to gaff and I spent the rest of the day sitting on the bridge watching everyone else fish.

Method was chumming with 4 to 5" strips of chum and then fishing with white streamers/deceivers of about the same length.   Sharks don't appear to be too swift and you didn't need much for movement to entice a take.    Fun for the experience but not sure I'd to it again. 

Found these photos in my desk drawer. Phone shots of 4x6 prints.    Myself and my dad (since passed).    Some great memories fishing with him.

HT

shark1.png.ec35cf914dac22185b0ad719f18d9c88.png

shark2.png.9d92f4bb7e135e7c2395eb61c459ec75.pngshark4.png.29cdf9d8070931ed5c23828798161dec.pngshark5.png.90a23b998b1c40a676413b53ac88ebec.pngshark3.png.27fae4280757e93e111ac657bf84f9b4.png

Edited by HillTop

3 hours ago, HillTop said:

Unless you're in back of a shrimp trawler I suspect the best way is by chumming.    We did that back, I think in the 80's with a Captain Dave Prebble out of Snug Harbor in RI.   A very knowledgeable captain who did a lot of shark charters.   I believe he wrote a number of articles on shark fishing, etc.    

I've done it twice with him and we ended up about 8 miles east of Block Island chumming for a hour or so and then next thing you know there's dozens of blue sharks all around the boat.   Not used to that and at first it was a little disconcerting bobbing around with no where to go with that many sharks.     We caught dozens of sharks one trip, averaging from 8' to 10' in length.   A decent tug with a couple of 100 yard runs each but then that's where the fun ends and the battle begins.    My largest, about 10' took me an hour and 15 minutes to bring to gaff and I spent the rest of the day sitting on the bridge watching everyone else fish.

Method was chumming with 4 to 5" strips of chum and then fishing with white streamers/deceivers of about the same length.   Sharks don't appear to be too swift and you didn't need much for movement to entice a take.    Fun for the experience but not sure I'd to it again. 

Found these photos in my desk drawer. Phone shots of 4x6 prints.    Myself and my dad (since passed).    Some great memories fishing with him.

HT

shark2.png.9d92f4bb7e135e7c2395eb61c459ec75.pngshark4.png.29cdf9d8070931ed5c23828798161dec.pngshark5.png.90a23b998b1c40a676413b53ac88ebec.pngshark3.png.27fae4280757e93e111ac657bf84f9b4.png

some cool pics and awesome memories

6 hours ago, HillTop said:

HT

Like I said, flies that imitate what they might be feeding on. . .thank you and you're welcome.

BTW, what reels are you guys using?  :howdy:

Great pics and better memories.

BTW, what reels are you guys using?

Looks like a Valentine to me.  I had a 350 till it was stolen.

they don’t get a lot of attention/marketing But they are a fine reel and still made today.

not much help form the beach but I have spent the last 25 years catching them only from a boat.   We use chum---ground menhaden frozen in 7 pound blocks.   Like someone said orange flies work, I like red or red and orange.  My favorite material for trying those flies is rabbit.  I would think from the beach a popper might work.  I believe the sharks you are seeing from the beach would be black tips and spinners.  They can be aggressive  feeders.  Scott Hamilton would be a great source of info 

18 hours ago, aneary said:

Curious if anyone has done any surf fishing for sharks with the long rod. I live in FL and see quite a few sharks in the surf, I think I’d like to try and catch one and was curious about flys to use. Anyone? 

I've never intentionally hooked one, but it happens. Most are tail wrapped within seconds of going tight. If you're lucky it'll only cost you a fly and leader, on a bad day you're going to be buying a new fly line. 

Thanks everyone for your reply’s. I can’t/ won’t chum them from the beach, not trying to draw them in just catch them when they are here. I did have a follow last year with a popper but it turned off at the last minute. I think I could handle one, depending on the size of course, I have Penn  4.0 with lots of backing, I do only have a 10 weight , broke my 11 so that may be iffy, good to know bright colors, I was thinking  red or orange and on the big side and a bigger popper, thanks again!

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 1:25 PM, aneary said:

Thanks everyone for your reply’s. I can’t/ won’t chum them from the beach, not trying to draw them in just catch them when they are here. I did have a follow last year with a popper but it turned off at the last minute. I think I could handle one, depending on the size of course, I have Penn  4.0 with lots of backing, I do only have a 10 weight , broke my 11 so that may be iffy, good to know bright colors, I was thinking  red or orange and on the big side and a bigger popper, thanks again!

I was thinking if you were fishing with a friend, the old bait & switch with a popper might be the best way to present the fly. But strictly talking out of my non-experienced mind. That's how they get sails and such to take feather. 

On 3/8/2019 at 1:42 PM, aneary said:

I don't know for sure, but I think I had a fly which I tied to imitate a needlefish (for barracuda) have the trailing hook ripped clean off by a shark last spring in the keys. Barracuda love the fly. Don't know if there are barracuda big enough to snap the wire. I've switched to heavier wire :-D

Borski used to do some sharks too, apparently red/orange flies gold tinsel

The Big Orange — what can you say it is a monster fly for a monster fish. Designed for hard charging sharks, the tying principles and rigging of this fly can be adapted to many big game situations. You will witness Tim using this fly to subdue a monster tiger shark, that eventually loses his lunch—you won't believe what he was eating!