adams54

Anyone hear about this?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Dude, not saying anything about what you're posting about in the header & body makes you look like a troll. I'm not clicking your link!

8 mins ago, gellfex said:

Dude, not saying anything about what you're posting about in the header & body makes you look like a troll. I'm not clicking your link!

Im not a troll. I tagged the thread. Why would I explain it in a thread if the link explains it perfectly enough? I think you just trolled me.

13 mins ago, gellfex said:

Fixed it..just for you 

11 mins ago, adams54 said:

Fixed it..just for you 

Great. You should have titled the thread "Anyone hear about this storm surge barrier in Manasquan?"  See how informative that is? Sorry, but crappy headers in posts and emails are a pet peeve. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yeah I did.  I saw a article online some where.  I can't remember where now.  It was a different photo than the one you linked to.  I'll see if I can find it. 

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

Im sure the ACOE is smarter then i am..but I can't imagine how this could work. If you close the barrier wouldn't the storm surge go around the barrier on either side? Also in a major storm system you're dealing with inches of rain if you block the inlet with a barrier where does all the runoff go? Seems like they're thinking about doing this at the BI and a few months ago there was a similar plan about the RB. 

2 hours ago, adams54 said:

Im sure the ACOE is smarter then i am..

Do not underestimate yourself. I have seen no evidence that the ACOE is smarter than my dog.

I don’t have a dog but you get my point. Logic left the room a long time ago. 

Is the barrier proposed absolute or semipermeable? Would an absolute barrier cause increased erosion to the adjacent landmass/beaches since the water would search for another path of least resistanance? If so are they then simply rely on beach replenishment to counteract this?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, plug1712 said:

Is the barrier proposed absolute or semipermeable? Would an absolute barrier cause increased erosion to the adjacent landmass/beaches since the water would search for another path of least resistanance? If so are they then simply rely on beach replenishment to counteract this?

There was a prior thread on this in which I posted a link to the Army Corp of Engineers Proposals for several mitigation structures that are absolute barriers of steel and concrete.  Unfortunately, I could not find it.

9 hours ago, adams54 said:

Im sure the ACOE is smarter then i am..but I can't imagine how this could work. If you close the barrier wouldn't the storm surge go around the barrier on either side? Also in a major storm system you're dealing with inches of rain if you block the inlet with a barrier where does all the runoff go? Seems like they're thinking about doing this at the BI and a few months ago there was a similar plan about the RB. 

In summary, they are working off the Sandy Storm surge height, and proposing 14ft above mean high tide structures.  This includes a five mile wall from Sandy Hook to Queens with a flood gate that will open for shipping, but not fish migration, as well as another in the Long Island sound where it necks down to enter the Hudson (Great Bay?).  The really interesting part of the proposal that twists the mind is literally 100's of miles of 14ft high walls along the waterways - so in the Manasquan Proposal, what is now an accessible seawall and jetty to the end of the inlet would transform into a 14ft high steel and concrete wall from the Flood Gate Base to at least the 20ft high Dune, if not the end of the Jetty itself.  Carrying this further, picture the walls of the Point Pleasant Canal as a 14ft high wall.  Barnegat Inlet? 14ft high steel and concrete wall.  Do you live on a cove where you dock your boat? Your view will be a 14ft high (above mean high tide) steel and concrete wall. No one is talking about loss of access to your dock. or for that matter, what marina's are supposed to do.

Need I go on?  If I owned a tackle store near an inlet where folks fish, I would definitely be giving serious thought to an exit strategy. 

The part of all this that really tickles my sense of political irony is that the AOC is looking for 10's if not 100's of billions of dollars commencing sometime around 2028, to mitigate, per their statements in the proposal, sea level rise due to Global Warming. But wait for it...the AOC is part of the DoD, which is part of the Executive Branch, which is under the White House, which denies the existence of Global Warming.  You gotta love it. 

Link for Hudson River Area Report:

https://www.nan.usace.army.mil/Portals/37/docs/civilworks/projects/ny/coast/NYNJHAT/NYNJHAT Interim Report - Main Report Feb 2019.pdf?ver=2019-02-19-165223-023

Link for the rest of NJ Report:

https://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works/New-Jersey-Back-Bays-Coastal-Storm-Risk-Management/

Table from Hudson River Area Report:

Presentation1 (2).jpg

Edited by FlatWing

Even if they were able to pull off this travesty, it'll never happen in the lifetime of anyone viewing or posting here. 

13 hours ago, bdowning said:

Even if they were able to pull off this travesty, it'll never happen in the lifetime of anyone viewing or posting here. 

You couldn't be more right.  Hell, they've been screwing around with sand dunes since early 2013 and still haven't finished.  I figure that by the time they finish pouring the last wall, the first couple will be falling apart from salt incursion. 

On 3/8/2019 at 1:47 PM, gellfex said:

Great. You should have titled the thread "Anyone hear about this storm surge barrier in Manasquan?"  See how informative that is? Sorry, but crappy headers in posts and emails are a pet peeve. 

Remind me never to have a beer with you.