scoobydoo

What are the best 2 Canal rods for jigging and plugging

Rate this topic

133 posts in this topic

31 mins ago, lureman said:

to start... if you ask 100 guys, good chance you will get a 100 different answers, bout what rod to use ,, buy what you can afford, first and foremost,,,,,i am not going to tell you, what rod company to buy,,, i can suggest only,,  i categorize the rods there, as three rods,,, top-water rod, pencils, poppers,... plugging rod, stick shads, magic swimmers, gliders, any sub-surface plug,,,, and jigging rod, to jig the bottom, 4-7 oz. ....so basically, i am covering the three areas, of the water column,  you could combo top water and plugging rod, you can use ANY rod, at the CCC,,for any type of fishing, but over the years, that i fished there, from my perspective, and viewed, i believe in fishing " Smarter, not Harder", there. The pencil or top water rods, i like are of moderate-fast action.2-6 oz., rods that are 10'6"-11ft., probby more moderate action,for long casting, a plugging rod, for me, moderate-fast, 2-6, or 3-8 oz. 10ft.-10'6"ft. probby more fast action than moderate, stiffer at the the tip,for casting bigger plugs, SS, MS, big gliders,loaded, bottle-darters, etc... and then for my jigging rod,the rod i trust MOST to catch most of my BIG and bigger fish,10ft. fast, faster action, 3-10oz., power rod, i like 10ft. cause when using longer rod , many times BIGGER fish, in BIGGER current can and will get leverage over you, in the battle, "SMARTER NOT HARDER",, thats one of the reasons why,10ft. also,, casting jigs, is one thing, but to my way of thinking, the rods ability to lift, and hold , and allow the jig to flutter back down, are a more important consideration, and factor, than just casting,,,,oh well, like i mentioned ,its all up to the individual, buying and fishing the rod, but remember, any rod can be fished at the CCC but, i say "Smarter, Not Harder"........  - Butch N.

Great post !!!! 

Clearly you should be listening to a person who has trouble pronouncing his R’s correctly, but my 1322 has been working for pretty much everything. A 5 is a lob, but 3, 4 and pencils work well. Yeah, if I lived up there I would have a Jigster with a 14000XWRQMT-something, but the few weeks I’m up there each year, the 8 spheros and 1322 are fine, with an old 2-8 TFO/ 5bg backup. 

12 hours ago, Jason B said:

Clearly you should be listening to a person who has trouble pronouncing his R’s correctly, but my 1322 has been working for pretty much everything. A 5 is a lob, but 3, 4 and pencils work well. Yeah, if I lived up there I would have a Jigster with a 14000XWRQMT-something, but the few weeks I’m up there each year, the 8 spheros and 1322 are fine, with an old 2-8 TFO/ 5bg backup. 

like i mentioned, any rod will caught fish, any rod can be used for jigging,whats your point... ?..pronouncing R's ?....i don't live there...

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 3/8/2019 at 10:43 AM, scoobydoo said:

For all the regulars up there.  What are in you opinions the best two rods to cover those applications.  

And what rods do you see the most of.

I'm also curious what reels you see the most of up there as well.

It seemed like that 2018 was the year of the 14k Twinpower SW.

Like Butch said, 100 people 100 different answers.  EVERY rod/reel catches down there past 3-4 seasons and that has created A LOT of “experts” on the subject.  Guys that have been fishing there for fifteen minutes seem to have all the answers around here lately lol.  It also seems to be the North American test ground for anyone manufacturing saltwater plugs/rods/reels.  A lot

of gear options+a lot of prostaffers =too much information haha.  To each his own I guess.

Edited by FoliFish

21 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Plugging: FiberStar Composites Predator 10'6" SB 1267 rated 2-6oz.

Jigging: Rainshadow 10' SU 1209 rated 4-10oz.

Got the fsc for sale and no one seems to want it!

27 mins ago, xjclint said:

That does not mean much. Today rod buyers are not that smart. The younger generation want to spend twice as much just to look sharpie.

Edited by levari

7 hours ago, lureman said:

like i mentioned, any rod will caught fish, any rod can be used for jigging,whats your point... ?..pronouncing R's ?....i don't live there...

Around 2004 I bought StCroix top of the line Ben Doer Elite and I paid $300. Using the Inflation calculator, the same rod would have cost me today $399. Guys think if they spend over $600 on a rod they will catch more fish.That's a joke .

Edited by levari

On 3/8/2019 at 3:44 PM, hobobob said:

Since you asked nicely.

58194.jpg.25b48090900236385e2c633ca7a05f5b.jpg

Don't forget the proper attire. 

c2b33cc2-2218-48ce-8b52-ee1c731941fe_1.5c86d39be4199e6c25ebffd6d1fd4e71.jpeg.ae97f26d69398c282d534d8bac40e6a0.jpeg

crocs308169_169938_jb.jpg.79a80f667632d9d1c1ff1b0d8a9d2db9.jpg

lmao

I So many factors. Price, Weight capability, rod length, sensitivity, fish fighting ability, durability, ease/ability to impart action, guide layout, reel weight/balance

Not to mention early, mid, late season for fish size, moon tide/current strength, plug/jig weight, and probably tons of other factors I’m missing.

Lots of great older rods that people will ever try, and a lot of newer rods brands that will be interesting over the years how they stack up to tried and true rods. 

Good time for variety and availability of rods/reels/plus/jigs and probably some great values to be had due to the state of the stocks and people who upgrade or decide something no longer fits their needs.

Edited by nygnyrredsoxfan

2 hours ago, xjclint said:

I think the recent demise of the company has put somewhat of a scare in prospective buyers. Obviously the lifetime warranty is no more, that in itself is a big turn off. Truth be told, the FSC's are still just as viable a stick as more expensive options that don't have a very good track record of honoring/fulfilling stated warranties anyway or simply have no warranty on the 366th day going forward.

This begs the question... what specifically are you not satisfied with your FSC that makes you want to sell it? I have a few FSC's and despite my displeasure with losing warranty coverage and replacement part access, I still believe that more money put towards another brand won't improve the user experience I have now with my FSC's.

20 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

I think the recent demise of the company has put somewhat of a scare in prospective buyers. Obviously the lifetime warranty is no more, that in itself is a big turn off. Truth be told, the FSC's are still just as viable a stick as more expensive options that don't have a very good track record of honoring/fulfilling stated warranties anyway or simply have no warranty on the 366th day going forward.

This begs the question... what specifically are you not satisfied with your FSC that makes you want to sell it? I have a few FSC's and despite my displeasure with losing warranty coverage and replacement part access, I still believe that more money put towards another brand won't improve the user experience I have now with my FSC's.

I was using it as a big plug canal rod and just don't find a need two rods at the canal. The paraflex can do it all well enough and so no need to keep another 400 dollar rod around.

50 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

The lifetime warranty is not transferable so what difference does it make to potential 2nd hand buyers ? 

14 mins ago, levari said:

The lifetime warranty is not transferable so what difference does it make to potential 2nd hand buyers ? 

Its kind of a moot point as they have ceased operations but I don't see anything about "non transferable" on the FSC website?

FSC WARRANTY

Every new FSC Blank and Rod is covered by our lifetime warranty. Under our policy, we will repair or replace any Rod that is damaged due to defects in material or workmanship. This warranty is limited to repair or replacement of the Rod only and does not cover indirect, incidental, consequential or any other type of damage resulting from the use of the Rod. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation on consequential damages so the above limitation and exclusion may not apply to you. Damaged Rods should be returned to FSC for evaluation. Our dealers are not authorized to perform service on the behalf of FSC. Email FSC at info@fiberstarcomposites.com or call FSC at 267.664.6701 to get a return authorization before returning. 

On 3/9/2019 at 8:10 AM, Dan_evan1 said:

Again I have no affiliation with any of these companies and all of this information is coming second hand. I wish I had more for you, but I simply saw the question posted asking about them and figured that I could at least relay what I was told about them to the gentleman who was inquiring, and to any others who were curious about the first impressions of these new rods. 

Smoooth, I get it...:th::th:

On 3/9/2019 at 7:03 AM, Dan_evan1 said:

For what it’s worth, I saw more broken TFOs than any other rod this past year. Now I’m sure that’s partially due to the fact that (like someone mentioned before) every other person seems to be fishing one, or perhaps because they mislabeled the 10’6 2-6 oz as a 2-8 oz

For what it's worth, I've been fishing the 10' 6", 2 - 6oz, TFO for about 5 years, the brown first generation and the blue 2nd generation.

The only time I broke the rod during regular use was when I was throwing a 4 5/8oz Sebile Stick Shadd. During a long outing of hard fishing the Sebile snapped the tip off the rod. After that incident I dropped down to the 3 5/8 oz Stick Shadd and haven't had a problem since. The breakage was odd however because I throw 5 oz jig heads with Sluggos pretty regularly and I don't baby the casts at 5 oz.

Every other time I broke the rod was user error - snagging some shrubbery behind me while throwing a 4oz jig head or snagging my lure bag while casting or dropping my TFO on the rocks, chipping the guides. I fish the TFO very hard every year on Cape & Vineyard beaches and the canal. The TFO is ea very versatile rod that does  many things well.

Edited by zak-striper