scoobydoo

What are the best 2 Canal rods for jigging and plugging

Rate this topic

132 posts in this topic

Just now, levari said:

I am not sure why you bring StCroix to the picture and unclear for any substance in your comments regarding StCroix rods ..maybe you can clarify what you meant and explain how it is related to canal rods.

Again I have no affiliation with any of these companies and all of this information is coming second hand. I wish I had more for you, but I simply saw the question posted asking about them and figured that I could at least relay what I was told about them to the gentleman who was inquiring, and to any others who were curious about the first impressions of these new rods. 

19 mins ago, levari said:

True, there is no one perfect rod or perfect company...Plenty to choose from..

That's the beauty if it now. There are so many great options out there. I really think the small companies like Century, CTS and FSC(which unfortunately is no longer in existence) push the envelope,  have made the big companies take notice.  The competition has improved the industry to give us the great options we have today.

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 mins ago, shark lobster said:

For jigging cant forget the Rainshadow 1209 ! Great rod blank 

It’s not the Rainshadow, it’s the AllStar blank that the canal rats are willing to pay twice than what I paid for 10 years ago when I bought them new. 

Edited by levari

3 mins ago, levari said:

It’s not the Rainshadow, it’s the AllStar blank that the canal rats are willing to pay twice than what I paid for 19 years ago

Well 19 years ago was a whole different animal. 

6 mins ago, shark lobster said:

i keep my custom 1209 over the junk st croux makes all they do is sell a warrenty!

like tommy boy said i can **** in a box and slap a warrenty on it !

The Coors light of rods? 

13 mins ago, shark lobster said:

i keep my custom 1209 over the junk st croux makes all they do is sell a warrenty!

like tommy boy said i can **** in a box and slap a warrenty on it !

The RS 1209 that you own are not that great. The AllStar is the blank you want to look for. I would not waste my money in the RS. I sold two AllStar rods (LDFS and LDFC) to a very serious Canal Rat who took his time to strip the guides and rebuilt the rod. He is the one I take his comments and recommendations very seriously.

Plugging: FiberStar Composites Predator 10'6" SB 1267 rated 2-6oz.

Jigging: Rainshadow 10' SU 1209 rated 4-10oz.

22 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

For all the regulars up there.  What are in you opinions the best two rods to cover those applications.  

And what rods do you see the most of.

I'm also curious what reels you see the most of up there as well.

It seemed like that 2018 was the year of the 14k Twinpower SW.

George-Costanza-Eating-Popcorn.gif

1 hour ago, l.i.fish.in.vt said:

126though i don't consider myself a canal regular,i fish it enough to say that my old school arra 126-1mh for jigging and 1321 mh get the job done for me,

hi buddy,,,,, hi john, i think you are, hell i am always bumping into you there :)....

to start... if you ask 100 guys, good chance you will get a 100 different answers, bout what rod to use ,, buy what you can afford, first and foremost,,,,,i am not going to tell you, what rod company to buy,,, i can suggest only,,  i categorize the rods there, as three rods,,, top-water rod, pencils, poppers,... plugging rod, stick shads, magic swimmers, gliders, any sub-surface plug,,,, and jigging rod, to jig the bottom, 4-7 oz. ....so basically, i am covering the three areas, of the water column,  you could combo top water and plugging rod, you can use ANY rod, at the CCC,,for any type of fishing, but over the years, that i fished there, from my perspective, and viewed, i believe in fishing " Smarter, not Harder", there. The pencil or top water rods, i like are of moderate-fast action.2-6 oz., rods that are 10'6"-11ft., probby more moderate action,for long casting, a plugging rod, for me, moderate-fast, 2-6, or 3-8 oz. 10ft.-10'6"ft. probby more fast action than moderate, stiffer at the the tip,for casting bigger plugs, SS, MS, big gliders,loaded, bottle-darters, etc... and then for my jigging rod,the rod i trust MOST to catch most of my BIG and bigger fish,10ft. fast, faster action, 3-10oz., power rod, i like 10ft. cause when using longer rod , many times BIGGER fish, in BIGGER current can and will get leverage over you, in the battle, "SMARTER NOT HARDER",, thats one of the reasons why,10ft. also,, casting jigs, is one thing, but to my way of thinking, the rods ability to lift, and hold , and allow the jig to flutter back down, are a more important consideration, and factor, than just casting,,,,oh well, like i mentioned ,its all up to the individual, buying and fishing the rod, but remember, any rod can be fished at the CCC but, i say "Smarter, Not Harder"........  - Butch N.