scoobydoo

What are the best 2 Canal rods for jigging and plugging

Rate this topic

132 posts in this topic

Century SM 2 to 8 is amazing. Distance is out of sight with tons of power and very easy to fish. Doesn't beat you up.

Also 1328 and 1329 Graphene Sling Shots and finally don't forget the new Ron Arras.

Any of these will shine at the Canal. 

For what it’s worth, I saw more broken TFOs than any other rod this past year. Now I’m sure that’s partially due to the fact that (like someone mentioned before) every other person seems to be fishing one, or perhaps because they mislabeled the 10’6 2-6 oz as a 2-8 oz (and the 2-6 was not one of those rods you can lean into when it’s throwing at or near the top end) for about 6 months before correcting it and most online sites still list it at 2-8.....or because it’s just an extremely fast, not very forgiving rod by design. The color of the blank alone was enough to sway people in that direction and the amount of times I heard guys talking about nothing besides how “it matched their Saltists perfectly” (good god) was ridiculous lol....Being used primarily at the canal, I’m sure it falls victim to plenty of high sticking, the cringe-inducing sound of an over-eager angler gently placing it on the rocks from 4 feet away. Or maybe because they simply pumped out so many of those rods with such insane margins that distributors had plenty of incentive  to push them out the door all day.

This pile of broken TFOs was from 1 day of returns. I suppose the good part was if you did manage to fold one over while you “were gingerly f

casting an SP minnow” they were one of the only companies that allowed customers to simply exchange the first broken one right off the rack. While that sounds great, again it makes you wonder how they can afford to just give so many away with no questions asked or if their manufacturing costs, processes, and ultimately quality control suffered as a result? I know a lot of guys really like them, but for me the deal breaker was the first thing I noticed when I picked one up, and that was the really short rod butt to real seat distance. I’m 6’2 and I just feel so choked up trying to load those rods properly.

006FCB8F-71DE-46F3-91BA-DE5380E26980.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Edited by TimS
Please stop with the off topic stuff - this isn’t a discussion about a company or who works with them

Just now, levari said:

What's the relationship between the  Ron Arra and Century? I see his rods are in the Century booth in CA fishing show.

So the relationship consists of his name being on the side of 3 different rod models (as of right now) and apparently  when he put his hands on one for the first time it was already the finished product. 

Now that may not be true and Ron could have very well spent the entire winter on the beach every day battling frostbite and tirelessly testing along side Century’s design and engineering team who were meticulously adjusting the blank according to every piece of input and feedback Ron provided them with. 

- 9’6  / 1-5 oz / 50/50 split

-10’6 / 2-7 / 50/50 split 

-11’6 / 1-6 / 50/50 split 

The rods are the typical Century take on “moderate/fast” and after handling the 11’6 you could tell it was going to cast a 3-3.5 oz pencil a mile. I didn’t get my hands on the 10’6 2-7 oz but I heard some really good things about it. 

The rods fall between the $630 mark to about $670 I believe. 

F7DDBFAA-612A-467F-9611-356C529473A1.png

Jokes aside, the exact words I received were that the 11’6 is basically based off the SS1506 but crisper and with graphene now included and more modern materials overall. During testing the rod apparently sent 4-4.5 oz pencils a mile and was a pleasure to work them  back in as well....so it appears to be somewhat true to the rating.

The 10’6 2-7oz was explained to me as a “SS1328 and a half - falling somewhere between the SS1328 and SS1329 in terms of action and power but again with graphene and modern materials.” There seemed to be a lot of buzz around this particular rod from testers and the potential as a really solid “all arounder” seems to be there. 

13 mins ago, Dan_evan1 said:

So the relationship consists of his name being on the side of 3 different rod models (as of right now) and apparently  when he put his hands on one for the first time it was already the finished product. 

Now that may not be true and Ron could have very well spent the entire winter on the beach every day battling frostbite and tirelessly testing along side Century’s design and engineering team who were meticulously adjusting the blank according to every piece of input and feedback Ron provided them with. 

- 9’6  / 1-5 oz / 50/50 split

-10’6 / 2-7 / 50/50 split 

-11’6 / 1-6 / 50/50 split 

The rods are the typical Century take on “moderate/fast” and after handling the 11’6 you could tell it was going to cast a 3-3.5 oz pencil a mile. I didn’t get my hands on the 10’6 2-7 oz but I heard some really good things about it. 

The rods fall between the $630 mark to about $670 I believe. 

F7DDBFAA-612A-467F-9611-356C529473A1.png

Just wondering about the 10’6” 2-7 that you heard good things about it. If these are brand new models came out just now then I guess no one caught a single bass in the canal with them. So who told you the good things about them without the experience of catching a single bass in the canal? Am I missing something?

9 hours ago, levari said:

I'm a big Century fan. I've fished a lot of them, some I love and some I don't like, in particular the 11' S1 Stealth, it's just to noodley for me but I know guys that live it. Comes down to personal preference.  As I said before there is no 1 perfect rod or there would be only 1 rod company. 

Edited by TimS
Nobody needs to respond to off topic interrogations - I edited the quote

I like the century ss1327

I have an old glass fenwick for topwater but cannot throw it a full tide.

I think this is like a ford chevy thing everyone has a rod they are comfortable with

15 mins ago, levari said:

Just wondering about the 10’6” 2-7 that you heard good things about it. If these are brand new models came out just now then I guess no one caught a single bass in the canal with them. So who told you the good things about them without the experience of catching a single bass in the canal? Am I missing something?

I didn’t say anything about catching fish  and certainly don’t feel like I relayed any sort of definitive information about the rods other than feedback from the guys who tested them simply throwing ranges of lures and comparing them to staple rods that have been around for a while. That’s how it was explained to me, and why I used those quotation marks around the statements.

And to answer your question, no I don’t think you’re missing anything really to be honest.  If nothing else though the overall consensus whether it was a Pro Staffer, Consultant, or random homeless guy off the street was that after simply holding these rods the unanimous conclusion was that both the 11’ and 12’  St. Croix Legend 2-8 rods are pretty much obsolete now and consequently can now be properly rated at 3/4-4 oz. Oh and I think the

testers mentioned something about how the team decided after quite a bit of debate to equip the Arra rods with butt caps which is a nice touch for a Surf Rod that retails for over $600. 

3 mins ago, AFMike said:

I'm a big Century fan. I've fished a lot of them, some I love and some I don't like, in particular the 11' S1 Stealth, it's just to noodley for me but I know guys that live it. Comes down to personal preference.  As I said before there is no 1 perfect rod or there would be only 1 rod company. 

True, there is no one perfect rod or perfect company...Plenty to choose from..

I rarely have two rods on me. My first gen 10 ft. 1pc Lami SSU covers everything from an SP minnow to a 6 oz shad. I just lay out a few plugs, jigs next to me and switch as needed. 

Edited by rbart

2 mins ago, Dan_evan1 said:

I didn’t say anything about catching fish  and certainly don’t feel like I relayed any sort of definitive information about the rods other than feedback from the guys who tested them simply throwing ranges of lures and comparing them to staple rods that have been around for a while. That’s how it was explained to me, and why I used those quotation marks around the statements.

And to answer your question, no I don’t think you’re missing anything really to be honest.  If nothing else though the overall consensus whether it was a Pro Staffer, Consultant, or random homeless guy off the street was that after simply holding these rods the unanimous conclusion was that both the 11’ and 12’  St. Croix Legend 2-8 rods are pretty much obsolete now and consequently can now be properly rated at 3/4-4 oz. Oh and I think the

testers mentioned something about how the team decided after quite a bit of debate to equip the Arra rods with butt caps which is a nice touch for a Surf Rod that retails for over $600. 

I am not sure why you bring StCroix to the picture and unclear for any substance in your comments regarding StCroix rods ..maybe you can clarify what you meant and explain how it is related to canal rods.

What I find suitable for the application, personally chiming in

for the reason of time passing by. ;)

CTS - Land Bases Salt - Vapor Trail

Carolina Cast Pro - CPS - Factory Built Rod 10ft. 1-4 oz