scoobydoo

What are the best 2 Canal rods for jigging and plugging

Rate this topic

132 posts in this topic

For all the regulars up there.  What are in you opinions the best two rods to cover those applications.  

And what rods do you see the most of.

I'm also curious what reels you see the most of up there as well.

It seemed like that 2018 was the year of the 14k Twinpower SW.

I would personally not get a Twin Power, but that’s just me. I’d take a Gosa 10k all day long over that and save the money. I really wish they’d bring back the 14k Gosa but removing that size was simply pushing people to the Twin Power if they wanted a 14k but didn’t want to pay Stella Pricing.

You're going to get opinions for days but for me personally, my built 10’ Blackhole with k-frames is hands down my all time favorite jigging rod. And best plugging rod?? That really depends on whether you’re a typical 11-12’ 2-6 rating type or more of what seems to be the ever increasing trend of heavier plugs and the rods to match. The 12’ Century Surf Machine Elite 2-8 oz with RV guides was one of the sweetest rods I’ve thrown lately. 

On a tighter budget I’d get an 11’ 2-6 oz Tiralejo MH for plugging and a 10’ Tica TC2 2-8 oz for jigging. That rod for whatever it’s listed at (like $150-$160) is a pleasure to jig with and a total workhorse. It reminds me of my old 10’ Okuma Solaris 3-8 that I still haven’t managed to kill after a decade of beating it like a red-headed stepchild 

ODM jigster makes for a great all rounder at the canal. It really shines throwing jigs in the 3-6 oz range but throws sebiles, pencils and even SP minnows without issue. It quickly became my go to canal stick.

I'd say you definitely see the most TFO rods on the ditch. Both the 10'6" 2-6 and the 11' 3-8 are popular and I enjoyed fishing both before upgrading.

As for reels the Gosa is my go to and many other people's as well. I fish three of them both in the 10k and 8k sizes on the canal and they continue to perform without issue.

4 mins ago, Dan_evan1 said:

On a tighter budget I’d get an 11’ 2-6 oz Tiralejo MH for plugging and a 10’ Tica TC2 2-8 oz for jigging. That rod for whatever it’s listed at (like $150-$160) is a pleasure to jig with and a total workhorse. It reminds me of my old 10’ Okuma Solaris 3-8 that I still haven’t managed to kill after a decade of beating it like a red-headed stepchild 

The 11' 2-6oz MH Tiralejo is a great distance rod for the price. Paired with the right reel and line it becomes a veritable pencil popper rocket launcher.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Best Plugging: 11'3 Century C2D 

Best Jigging: CTS Surf & Jetty/BayCaster 4-8oz.

Most popular:  Dealer's choice TFO or Mojo w/ Shimano Saragosas.  

Edited by TLap21

For plugging I do most of my fishing with a Lamiglas surf pro 10ft 1-4 oz with a VS200. For jigging it’s an 11ft Ocean Master power stick 2-6oz with a VS250.

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

For all the regulars up there.  What are in you opinions the best two rods to cover those applications.  

I'm also curious what reels you see the most of up there as well

I currently own three TFOs, the 10' 6" 2 - 6 oz version. They do just about all you need them to do at the canal. They don't cast 1oz lures like Bombers very well, the lures can't load up the rod enough. I might try the 11' TFO that's rated 1/2 - 2oz for that purpose or the Tiralejo 10' 6" that's rated 1 - 3.5 oz.

The 'Gosa is a great canal jigging reel, especially for the price. During the insanity of a couple of years ago I jigged 3 - 5oz jigs for 8 hours, catching three dozen fish over 36", which the 'Gosa 8K handled flawlessly. The drag on that reel is great. I use a long cast reel for bombing poppers to breaking fish. I currently use a Shimano Ultegra 10000 XSC, but after 4 seasons, it's on its last legs (too much beach abuse when I'm not at the canal). I'll probably upgrade to the Shimano Ultegra 14000 XTD this season for my long cast reel.

Edited by zak-striper

I'm still using a Star Paraflex 11' 3-8oz with a BG5000 on it. It's not sexy but I used it exclusively for heavy plugging and jigging through the blitzes of 2017 and all last year as well. The only time I use a lighter setup is when throwing loaded Cordell's and SS poppers out to breaking fish. 

The Paraflex/BG5000 combo has dozens of 40+" canal fish on it. If the rod breaks, they send me a new one. I broke a Paraflex once and they sent me a replacement that had a bent guide. I called them to complain and they sent me a new rod and told me to keep the other so now I have a spare!

I'm with Cal though, I see more TFO's at the ditch than any other rod except for maybe Tiralejo's.

4 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I'm also curious what reels you see the most of up there as well.

It seemed like that 2018 was the year of the 14k Twinpower SW.

'18 was year of the TFO.  Looked like light blue bike flags rolling up and down the canal road.  Not knocking it as i think they're a great all around rod for the canal and excellent value.

I see more Gosas than any others with Stella and Saltists right behind.  Not as many saltigas as there once were.  Not many Twin Power from what I saw, but then again I think I made maybe 5-6 trips last year during "daylight" hours.

Edited by FoliFish

I still like the XRA1205. Most of my plugs/jigs are 2-3.5oz and this rod handles there weights well. It is parabolic and for shots fish well and is light enough to cast all day without fatigue. 

I dont jig above 4oz. I don’t need some fancy new fast action rod.