fishfinder401

Kayak vhf radio etiquette

19 posts in this topic

So I realized this year I need to get a vhf radio for my kayak, but it hit me that I have no idea about the etiquette to use on it, especially when on a kayak. 

So, along with any vhf recomendations  what would you guys say are some does and don'ts when using them?

Always remember to give a bunch of fake spot burns to keep the boats off your back!  You'll be surprised how far those radios will broadcast and who's listening on a given channel.  

Hypothetical if your killing them at the Sugar Bowl, tell them the bite is on in Revere Beach.   Revere Beach is code for your buddy to switch to another pre- discussed channel other than the one your on.  Then you can get on a lesser use channel to inform him/her.....or maybe that's code to call your cell.   

Give yourself a cool CB Handle like the old days in Smokey The Bandit.   

Try not to swear that much because the kids will hear ya while they're  hanging out with their folks.   Don't be a .....:laugh:

Have fun and be creative.   Good luck with your holdovers.   Fly 

21 mins ago, flylikabird said:

Always remember to give a bunch of fake spot burns to keep the boats off your back!  You'll be surprised how far those radios will broadcast and who's listening on a given channel.  

Hypothetical if your killing them at the Sugar Bowl, tell them the bite is on in Revere Beach.   Revere Beach is code for your buddy to switch to another pre- discussed channel other than the one your on.  Then you can get on a lesser use channel to inform him/her.....or maybe that's code to call your cell.   

Give yourself a cool CB Handle like the old days in Smokey The Bandit.   

Try not to swear that much because the kids will hear ya while they're  hanging out with their folks.   Don't be a .....:laugh:

Have fun and be creative.   Good luck with your holdovers.   Fly 

good to know, what are the normal channels that people would talk to each other on when its not an emergency? 

38 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

good to know, what are the normal channels that people would talk to each other on when its not an emergency? 

Google up "VHF channels"... the USCG site will provide a list of the non-commercial channels that you can chit chat on.  The etiquette is that less is more. 

Channel 6 is ship to ship, safety, search and rescue only

Channel 8 is general boater communications.

Channel 13 is internship navigation generally monitored by ships over 20 meters

Channel 16 Hailing and Emergency ONLY,  seriously don't fill this channel with garbage.

Channel 17-20 is commercial and port operations

Channel 22A is Coast Guard Search and Rescue, they will jump here after a hail on 16

Channel 24-28 Marine Operator

Channel 68, 69, 71, 72 are for general boater communications  

Look up when to use Securité, Pan-Pan, and Mayday.  

There are other channels used for various things, but this should get you started and keep you out of trouble.

4 mins ago, Oakman said:

Channel 6 is ship to ship, safety, search and rescue only

Channel 8 is general boater communications.

Channel 13 is internship navigation generally monitored by ships over 20 meters

Channel 16 Hailing and Emergency ONLY,  seriously don't fill this channel with garbage.

Channel 17-20 is commercial and port operations

Channel 22A is Coast Guard Search and Rescue, they will jump here after a hail on 16

Channel 24-28 Marine Operator

Channel 68, 69, 71, 72 are for general boater communications  

Look up when to use Securité, Pan-Pan, and Mayday.  

There are other channels used for various things, but this should get you started and keep you out of trouble.

oh perfect, that should definitely help me get started

I've thought about a radio and never committed since I don't even usually go out front unless it's a nice day. But the more I think about it, it would be nice to have and if nothing else the chatter might be interesting if it's a slow day.

2 hours ago, drmevo said:

I've thought about a radio and never committed since I don't even usually go out front unless it's a nice day. But the more I think about it, it would be nice to have and if nothing else the chatter might be interesting if it's a slow day.

In almost twenty years of solo yak fishing I’ve never felt the need either. In LIS your never far away from land, an island or boats. But in June the big Hudson River bridge to bridge swim I’m yaking at, and a 5 day kayak fishing trip in the Pacific both require one. The FM reciever on the Horizon model I’m getting will be nice!

2 hours ago, MagDarter said:

Don’t use profanity (even though I curse like a sailor in real life) because there are children on boats... lol 

I’d avoid channel 68 when in the NY bight then lol

3 hours ago, cheech said:

In almost twenty years of solo yak fishing I’ve never felt the need either. In LIS your never far away from land, an island or boats. But in June the big Hudson River bridge to bridge swim I’m yaking at, and a 5 day kayak fishing trip in the Pacific both require one. The FM reciever on the Horizon model I’m getting will be nice!

Never had an emergency myself but I was glad I had a VHF to assist with the rescue of 3 people from a capsized SIK in LIS 2 years ago.  It was a June night and the water was pretty chilly the guys in the water couldn't swim (only 2 had pfd's) the kayak was submerged and they were not dressed for cold water.  That the first time in 40 yrs of boating I ever spoke with the CG.  

YakDawg, Good point. I’m usually within sight of the NYC skyline, and have relied on an off contract cell phone for a camera and as an emergency contact device (911).

Here’s a thought, using your VHF radio on FM band to listen to music while fishing sounds ok, unless it causes a drain on the battery of something you might need in an emergency. I have never felt the need to

listen to music while fishing, I just consider it a distraction.....Jack

Google search New England Kayak Forum...go to Articles.  There's a great article written by a kayaker about VHF use.  Very worthwhile.  I made a cheat sheet, laminated it, and keep it in my kayak.

29 mins ago, blackdogfish said:

Google search New England Kayak Forum...go to Articles.  There's a great article written by a kayaker about VHF use.  Very worthwhile.  I made a cheat sheet, laminated it, and keep it in my kayak.

Good idea, I'll check it out