KujoRasta

Live eels

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, KujoRasta said:

I live in Quincy.

Quincy bait and tackle should have em too. Cool little store. Just called ahead and ask if they have em in

20 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

And then take them home, skin them, fillet them, dredge them in seasoned flour, and fry them up..........

:drool:

Learn to skin them the right way and use the eel skin as bait...…………

Pissa………..

Posted (edited) · Report post

18 hours ago, MakoMike said:

I have no idea what the regs are on horseshoe crabs these days. I haven't caught or wanted to catch one in years.

Turns out you can catch them with kastmasters. Snagged this one while fishing for blues. :)

20180610_183656.jpg.8d0a07474be8f0fe1dc5a4c1909392e9.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

17 hours ago, b-ware said:

Learn to skin them the right way and use the eel skin as bait...…………

Pissa………..

Yup, you don't often hear about eel skin jigs anymore. I know JPowers and Slipknot were fans of them for a long time.

Even rigged eels have seem to gone by the wayside. Saltheart (RIP) posted here a number of times on the rigging method.

Edited by Steve in Mass

4 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Yup, you don't often hear about eel skin jigs anymore. I know JPowers and Slipknot were fans of them for a long time.

Even rigged eels have seem to gone by the wayside. Saltheart (RIP) posted here a number of times on the rigging method.

I've caught tuna on rigged eels.

I would say - you can get them at alot of places.  Figure out what you like.  People who keep their eels in lighter colored tubs will have lighter colored eels.  someone people like a dark tub, which makes the eels darker.  I haven't really noticed a different, but alot of people will say there is a difference.  

I would concentrate on somewhere that sells alot of them.  I've got some pretty crappy eels in my day and it seems like 10 minutes of casting and they're 100% dead.  You can fish a dead eel for sure, but if you want them to last an hour or more, you should look for somewhere with a quality tank that sells alot of them.  

You'll see from the suggestions from people on here which places you like best

On 3/9/2019 at 2:24 PM, zak-striper said:

Turns out you can catch them with kastmasters. Snagged this one while fishing for blues. :)

20180610_183656.jpg.8d0a07474be8f0fe1dc5a4c1909392e9.jpg

Total thread hijack/digression, but I couldn’t help sharing this freaky practice of harvesting horseshoe crab blood for medical testing. Fascinating, in case you didn’t know the scale of this operation.

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-horseshoe-crab-blood-expensive-2018-8

Edited by tj7501
Better link

1 hour ago, tj7501 said:

Total thread hijack/digression, but I couldn’t help sharing this freaky practice of harvesting horseshoe crab blood for medical testing. Fascinating, in case you didn’t know the scale of this operation.

We use to go out at night on the big tides in may/june and harvest them. After their blood is taken we bring them back and let them go.........Back in the day we would harvest them for eel bait and keep them in a crab car on a mooring........We have filled skiffs to the rails with them. Swifts beach in wareham was always a great spot.

On 3/11/2019 at 0:11 AM, robc22 said:

We use to go out at night on the big tides in may/june and harvest them. After their blood is taken we bring them back and let them go.........Back in the day we would harvest them for eel bait and keep them in a crab car on a mooring........We have filled skiffs to the rails with them. Swifts beach in wareham was always a great spot.

I used to see horse shoe crabs all the time when I was little around the south shore. Havent seen any in years.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 10:38 PM, tj7501 said:

When your fishing for blues, do you use a steel leader ? i hear their teeth can snap lines.  i want to hook up on some blues this year for sure!

13 hours ago, Lemonade said:

I used to see horse shoe crabs all the time when I was little around the south shore. Havent seen any in years.

There are still plenty bud......Walk the beach on the big spring tides and you will see them doing the wild thing...God bless em!..:)