KujoRasta

Live eels

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, KujoRasta said:

Does anyone have any tips on catching eels ?

46 mins ago, northbeach said:

Catch your own.....crazy easy.

Any tips?

Fish ME waters and most tackle shops carry them. I'll drive to Plum Island area to get them in late fall when local places stop carrying them. Get on it! Nothing better than going out with nothing but a sack of eels, leader and hooks! And if you save the deads to wrap plugs you get best bang for buck

1 hour ago, Junglist said:

Any tips?

Do you just want to catch them or do you want to have some fun doing it? If you just want to catch them use a trap, and bait it with horseshoe crab eggs, put it in relatively shallow water preferable near some eel grass. If you want to have some fun, find a place near a location where they wash down boats, like part boats, draggers, etc. Use a flounder hook and bait with a piece clam, lots of fun, particularly if you use a light rod.

17 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Use a flounder hook and bait with a piece clam, lots of fun, particularly if you use a light rod.

And then take them home, skin them, fillet them, dredge them in seasoned flour, and fry them up..........

:drool:

7 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

And then take them home, skin them, fillet them, dredge them in seasoned flour, and fry them up..........

:drool:

Stop eating your bait Steve so you can catch more fish in next fishing adventure.   Eel is one exception where bait shop is much cheaper than your average asian market.  Might be the only exception.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Thanks Mako, that sounds fun with light tackle.

I was reading on horseshoe as bait, is that still legal?

They're delicious fried btw.

Edited by Junglist

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Junglist said:

I have no idea what the regs are on horseshoe crabs these days. I haven't caught or wanted to catch one in years.

Edited by MakoMike

2 hours ago, Junglist said:

Nooooooo!

Not sure if you meant you were willing to travel to get eels, or if you meant you fish both the North and South Shore and were looking for shops along the way. But, Jerry’s Bait and Tackle in Milford Mass. is a great little shop, that has eels most of the time during peak fishing season. The owner, Jerry, is a great guy, and will treat you right and is always up for talking fishing. Just another option, depending on the location you’re fishing or traveling to.

If you're going to use live eels, might as well get your money's worth, and/or protect the species, by not killing or dumping extras after the fishing trip is over.

Ive kept eels alive in the fridge for 3 months. No bubbler or oxygenation required. Just 1" of water changed every week or 2. Deeper and they drown. No water and they dry-slime suffocate. 1-2" water (max) seems sufficient with cold temps for long-term storage.