KujoRasta

Live eels

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

Iv been trying to find information on where to get live eels.  Everyone always talks about how amazing they are for striper fishing, i definitely want to give it a shot.  Are there any tackle shops in the south shore that would have live eels, or even the north shore ? Im definitely willing to travel.. Or are these something you need to catch yourself ? and IF so... Does anyone have any tips on catching eels ? tide, what to look for, bait, would i dig for them or set out traps.. are traps legal? i would prefer just to buy them but i guess that would also depend how expensive they are.. Any advice would be great. Thanks guys.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Most bait shops will have em begging late June/early July. Toms in middleboro is one of the main suppliers and then from there they get sent to the other shops. I usually got to Duxbury bait and tackle or belsans in Scituate. Both are knowledgeable fisherman and usually have good lively eels

Edited by jmarino1432

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, KujoRasta said:

Are there any tackle shops in the south shore that would have live eels, or even the north shore ? Im definitely willing to travel.. 

If you're in the greater Boston area Arlington Bait & Tackle on Mass Ave has them. Usually starting in late May - early June. You can probably get them in Quincy as well.

It's definitely a lot of fun catching stripers with them. I've had stripers do the classic tap, tap, you lower your rod tip while you wait for the striper to come back to take the eel, then you set the hook or I've had stripers slam them hard, practically yanking the rod out of my hand.

Edited by zak-striper

If for some reason you can't get them at a tackle shop, the C-Mart supermarket on Washington Street in Boston has them all the time. Sold by the pound though, so you may pay more.

4 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

If for some reason you can't get them at a tackle shop, the C-Mart supermarket on Washington Street in Boston has them all the time. Sold by the pound though, so you may pay more.

FWIW, I've always found that bait from a food store costs less than bait from a B&T shop. That goes for all bait, from, eels to squid to clams.

7 mins ago, MakoMike said:

FWIW, I've always found that bait from a food store costs less than bait from a B&T shop. That goes for all bait, from, eels to squid to clams.

Well then C-mart is your stop if it is convenient to you, they have all that stuff and more such as a variety of stuff you can use for chunk bait.....butterfish, mackerel, sardines, other small fish the Chinese eat, etc..........

Never had much luck with them, but a lot of people swear by them for fishing at night, probably more so from a boat or a kayak. They are expensive, pain in the neck to keep alive and deal with.. Most bait shops will carry them, just bring a bucket with holes on top cover and some bagged ice inside. If you put them on loose ice, you'll need a double bucket, so the water drains from the inner perforated bucket to the outer bucket, otherwise they "drown". And bring a scotch brite pad to handle them while fishing; they are extremely slippery. PITA...

13 mins ago, tj7501 said:

Never had much luck with them, but a lot of people swear by them for fishing at night, probably more so from a boat or a kayak. They are expensive, pain in the neck to keep alive and deal with.. Most bait shops will carry them, just bring a bucket with holes on top cover and some bagged ice inside. If you put them on loose ice, you'll need a double bucket, so the water drains from the inner perforated bucket to the outer bucket, otherwise they "drown". And bring a scotch brite pad to handle them while fishing; they are extremely slippery. PITA...

Tougher than steel and very easy to use. I’ll grab six at a time and put them in a bucket with a circulator and filter. When I am going fishing I just dump the water and put them in a mesh laundry bag. Just give them a dunk every now and then and their good to go.

Fish them so slow that you think its boring!!!