bonefishdick

UV Glues

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I started this thread with the title U V glues but it could be labeled anything. This is a generic question that has crossed my mind but I have never seen it addressed anywhere on any forum.

People often talk about flies made with UV products like Loon or Solarez and how they remain tacky and I was wondering if the batteries in the light if they are not replaced regularly could result in the in the resin not curing properly.

Edited by bonefishdick

BFD,

I've found it to go both ways.

Once I changed the batteries in my light, the tack went away.

On other UV products, no matter what light I used and how fresh the batteries are, it remains tacky.

SF

I saw an interesting UV light trick on youtube, surround the fly with prism paper in a tube shape, does two things, keeps the uv light away from your eyes and bounces the light around inside the tube

8 mins ago, FishHawk II said:

I find Solarez to have the less tack of the other products on the market. Loon is not that bad but I'm told that

it will yellow in time. FishHawk

you might be able to slow the yellowing process by shielding the flies from light until they are ready to fish.  I usually store all my plugs and flies in multiple light proof boxes until I need them

I have the Pop-Fleyes light that takes batteries and plugs in. So far I have not used batteries in it and it works great.

A friend of mine told me that after using the flash light he puts the flies in his wife's UV finger nail polish dryer I believe he called it a "nail salon" according to him it  hardens the resin better than the flash light.

Put them on a sunny windowsill for a day.  Those that are still tacky , wipe with some alcohol,  then a coat of hard as hull or nails or whatever other topcoat you use.  Since I started using the windowsill, I rarely need the topcoat.

19 hours ago, bpatten0416 said:

Take them out into the bright sunlight after curing with the UV light then wipe them with an alcohol wipe - removes the tackiness.

I have heard of wiping the resin with an alcohol wipe to remove the tackiness. I would imagine that would weaken the resin some what? I usually have good luck with leaving them in the sunlight for an hour or so to really firm up the resin. 

I'm not so sure why there's a worry regarding longevity of the fly?  If you catch a lot of fish on a fly it's pretty much toast after a short time anyway - there's no time for durability issues or worry about yellowing.  As long as it holds up for a couple of keepers I'll happily tie more......

I've been using Loon...always a little tacky.  I just put a coat of Hard as nails on top and it solves the problem.  Never had yellowing issues.

Posted (edited) · Report post

The stuff I am using is tackey and I wipe it with alcohol which eliminates it on the hard UV, but the flex stays tackey. I also coat my hard UV with Hard As Nails. We used to also use it for head cement and coated our epoxy flies with it.

Edited by GilV

21 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Anyone ever try two curing lights simultaneously to see what that does with the extra power?

Almost always. It still doesn’t fix the tack problem entirely. I am recently in the habit of finish coating with Solarez Bond Dry. It’s super thin and drippy. But it cures bone dry!