Mummichog

Game Commission Stocking Coyotes

Rate this topic

143 posts in this topic

So, in Pennsylvania, there's an urban legend that the game commission stocked coyotes to lower the deer numbers.  Some say the insurance companies paid for it.  They say they've seen the stocking truck, they've seen coyotes with ear tags or they actually know someone in the game commission who was involved.

Now, there are coyotes in every eastern state and in eastern Canada.  It has been proved that they expanded their range north and west, through Canada, and even have wolf DNA.  If the game commission actually stocked coyotes, how did all this other stuff happen?  Did all the other states stock, too?

Does your state have the same urban legends surrounding coyotes?

2 mins ago, HopHead said:

I wish they would stock hyenas on Chicago's south side......and philly.

Hey, **** you!! I'm sitting in Philly right now!! :mad: 

Well Michigan is stocking (by air) Wolves on Isle Royale in Lake Superior to control the Moose population.  If they can do that just imagine what you can stock from a truck in PA.

Cabo

3 mins ago, richie c said:

Mass.? is supposed to be stocking/introducing  timber rattlesnakes to some island up there.:headscratch:

Not at this time.  Not popular with a lot of locals.  Guess I'm one since I only live 6 miles from the Quabbin.

Cabo

1 min ago, Cabo2005 said:

Not at this time.  Not popular with a lot of locals.  Guess I'm one since I only live 6 miles from the Quabbin.

Cabo

And rattlers swim just fine

17 mins ago, Mummichog said:

Does your state have the same urban legends surrounding coyotes?

Nope. The conspiracy theorists are sure that Fish & Game are hiding the existence of cougars though.  

All it is, an urban legend, at least in my mind. It's one of those things where you never talk to anyone who actually saw the stocking truck, or anyone who was actually involved. It's always someone who knows someone who claimed to know a guy who's BIL saw the stocking truck or talked to someone who was involved. It was much easier, and profitable, for the game commission to just issue massive numbers of doe tags for years on end.  

And no, the guy who told you that he knows someone who has a friend who's BIL saw a wild Mountain Lion is also telling stories. 

10 mins ago, Cabo2005 said:

Well Michigan is stocking (by air) Wolves on Isle Royale in Lake Superior to control the Moose population.  If they can do that just imagine what you can stock from a truck in PA.

Cabo

I heard about that.  4 wolves on an island that can't be hunted.  

But, how did coyotes get into every state in the eastern US?  Was it from the coyotes that the PA game commission stocked?  Did they all stock?  Or, did coyotes naturally move into every other state BUT Pennsylvania?  And PA had to stock them?