ccb

Bloodworms

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

37 mins ago, DZ said:

It's funny I grew up as a child in NY and all I saw when fishing for winter flounder was bloods.  I never even saw a sandworm until my family moved to RI where you couldn't even purchase bloodworms.  

Same here Dennis, growing up the flounder bait of choice was a nice gob of bright yellow mussel, topped off with a piece of bloodworm on the tip of the hook, to prevent the mussel fro sliding off.

Edited by MakoMike

Posted (edited) · Report post

Kind of off topic but in the same realm of digging, but.. I haven't dug for worms or clams in years, but as a kid I remember sometimes coming across a really long (12" +) whitish worm that was usually found relatively deep compared to a softshell clam or sea worm.

If I recall correctly if you picked them up they kinda stuck to your hand, which as a young boy scared the daylights out of me. I hated coming across them. Recalling and researching, I now believe them to be a type of ribbon worm. Anyone ever use one of those nasty suckers for bait?

Edited by ToddyRocks

13 mins ago, ToddyRocks said:

Kind of off topic but in the same realm of digging, but.. I haven't dug for worms or clams in years, but as a kid I remember sometimes coming across a really long (12" +) whitish worm that was usually found relatively deep compared to a softshell clam or sea worm.

If I recall correctly if you picked them up they kinda stuck to your hand, which as a young boy scared the daylights out of me. I hated coming across them. Recalling and researching, I now believe them to be a type of ribbon worm. Anyone ever use one of those nasty suckers for bait?

We used to call them Tape worms, and yes they made good bait, only problem is that they were so thin, it was tough to get them to stay on the hook.

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

We used to call them Tape worms, and yes they made good bait, only problem is that they were so thin, it was tough to get them to stay on the hook.

Yup, that is what I mentioned in the post above. As to being thin, well that is where they got the name from...... ;)