ccb

Bloodworms

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I know they use them a lot in Maine.   In Mass they use a lot of Seaworms.  What do you guys think about them in our area    I also hear a lot about  Blood worm Fish bites.  Do they work in our area also as well as down south.  

Whats the best FB scent around here ?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only significant difference between live bloodworms and seaworms is color? (Don't know about size). I'm curious also about the effectiveness of FBs vs. the real thing.

Im in Mass and we do well with bloodworms, as well as Sandworms.  I am speaking of the CT river which has the run.  We bait a lot up here and it is a preference thing.  Ive worked at tackle shops and all I can say is it is preference.  Guys swear on the Sandworms as well as the Bloods.  Hard to say what works best.  Ive caught on both.  I feel using cut bait is best here, looking back at my catches in previous years.   And Blood worms are double the price usually.

4 hours ago, bdowning said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the only significant difference between live bloodworms and seaworms is color? (Don't know about size). I'm curious also about the effectiveness of FBs vs. the real thing.

Blood worms and sea worms are two different animals . Sea worms are irregular and have arms Blood worms are more pinkish with no arms , Both have pincers.  I have dug sea worms up to 24 inches in some cases. Blood worms half that size . Both can be great for bait When you penetrate a sea worm it is not nearly as red as when you penetrate a blood worm and the internal   fluid is not as  consistent  Blood worms usually do not stretch out like sea worms can  and normally remain the same lentgh through out the time you have them. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Plus bloodworms have to shoot out their head to be able to bite, sandworms don't have to.

Edited by MakoMike

Yeah I knew they were two different animals, but wasn't aware of the size and shape differences. Thanks. 

Mikey the sea worm bite is not as bad as one from the blood worm   Also one can hook the blood worm any where along its lentgh and not be afraid that it will come off the hook. Unlike the sea worm penetrating the skin any where other then the head will cause the sea worm to be cast off, unless you thread it on a bait holder hook , which defeats the natural appearance once it is on the bottom . You can literately hook a sea worm in the head and never have a concern about if breaking apart as you cast it . If you doubt what I say the next time have a sea worm pinch it at the head and do a 360 as fast as you can , you will be surprised as it will remain in one lentgh , now pinch it below the head and do the same 360 and see how far you get before it breaks apart:howdy:  

A few years ago I used bloodworms when sea worms were not available.  I found they were just as productive and in fact managed to stay on the hook longer especially when smaller bass were abundant.  Look similar to a freshwater earthworm maybe more reddish smaller than say medium seaworm.

10 hours ago, ccb said:

Have any of you guys had luck with Fish bites ( bloodworms)  as a back up? 

In another time when digging my own bait we kept Blood Worms , Clam Worms and also tape worms . We separated them into individual containers as they took a little different way to keep them alive . Blood and clam worms did not need to be hardened up like sea worms do before using . Can you use them right out of the ground, yes of course, however they did not hold up well long term once you started to use them. I have kept sea worms for up to three weeks in the fridge at the magic temp of 48 degrees , once they are all done hardening .

I know a lot of guys who swear by bloodworms over seaworms when they are fishing for stripers on the lower Merrimack River. They stay on the hook better and gives off more blood scent as opposed to seaworms. When the fishing is at it's peak in the river usually mid May to June the local bait store has a hard time keeping it in stock due to demands. 

From what I've seen, there is little difference to the fish when looking at blood or sand worms. Most of the preferences are in fishermen's heads. IF a larger bait gets noticed quicker/better, then sand worms are generally larger. For my purposes, I do not see any point to bloods as the sands are less money and generally larger.

JC

It's funny I grew up as a child in NY and all I saw when fishing for winter flounder was bloods.  I never even saw a sandworm until my family moved to RI where you couldn't even purchase bloodworms.  

27 mins ago, DZ said:

It's funny I grew up as a child in NY and all I saw when fishing for winter flounder was bloods.  I never even saw a sandworm until my family moved to RI where you couldn't even purchase bloodworms.  

I grew up in New Jersey and back in the 60's always went with Pop and Uncle Johnny. Bloodworms were the bait of choice, sandworms( Seaworms up here) second, and then squid and spearing and such. In the rental skiff in the Navesink we would fish for winter flounder, blowfish, weakfish, eels, and of course the good ole Sallygrowl as by catch.

Some times we would go over to the sandbar in the river that was exposed at low tide and dig yfor tape worms or whatever else we came across.

I was only perhaps 5 to 12 years old when we would go, but I remember the bloods being the most productive of all the others. And unlike a sand worm, if you cut it on a board, the blood comes out as if you cut your finger, some color and viscosity, and a fair amount of it.

Unfortunately, bloods wave become prohibitively expensive. :(