Macrobbo

24v Trolling Motor Battery setup

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Hi all first post here! I need the Minn Kota Riptide spot lock for my 20' CC :) Looking for advice on what type of battery setup I would need to power this... Like most I have a cranking battery and a house battery. Through my quick research it sounds like I need another battery or 2 (hopefully not 2).  I'll also need to find a spot to hide these batteries as there's no room to sit with the others.  Any advice would be great, clarity on what type of battery, how to hook it up, how does it charge, etc...

Thanks!

Rob

Minn Kota's web page can tell you how many batteries and how long it will take to charge them etc. but the thing to remember is using adequate gauge marine wiring to handle the amp. draw depending on how much thrust and you buy. The longer the run the more loss of amps you will encounter. Blue Seas is an excellent resource for detailing who much you will need. Figure 2 batteries once you go over 55lbs and 12 volts. you can run 2 batts for 12 volts as it will give you longer run time. with a 20' boat I see you in the 70lb + zone to keep control.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah I checked out Minn Kota's site just wanted some first hand experience with the setup, hoping someone would say my current batteries would be enough (wishful thinking, I figured though :) ) but I get it with the 24v and with the thrust needed... Let me ask this can I setup the motor and batteries as a separate entity and hook a solar panel up when docked to top them off? Unfortunately we don't have outlets at the dock. 

Not enough power from the solar to do the job. You will need to recharge, you will be draining the batts at a much higher rate than solar can replenish in a short period of time. It will be like filling a backyard pool with a garden hose. If you use the motor a decent amount you won't be "topping them off" you will need a recharge. Sorry.

Posted (edited)

I am no marine wiring expert, so remember what you paid for this advice.

I would keep the trolling motor batteries and the boat battery system separate for the simple reason that the trolling motor is a 24V system, and the boat is 12V.

Do not charge the trolling motors while they are hooked in series with the boat alternator, you will burn it out.

Maybe you can switch out the house battery, which should be a deep cell, freshly charged with one trolling motor battery at a time, kind of rotate the three batteries. Other than that, a hand cart to get the batteries from the boat to a plug, or portable generator to run the chargers at the boat will be your best bet.

Edited by dena

4 mins ago, dena said:

I am no marine wiring expert, so remember what you paid for this advice.

I would keep the trolling motor batteries and the boat battery system separate for the simple reason that the trolling motor is a 24V system, and the boat is 12V.

Do not charge the trolling motors while they are hooked in series with the boat alternator, you will burn it out.

Maybe you can switch out the house battery, which should be a deep cell, freshly charged with one trolling motor battery at a time, kind of rotate the three batteries. Other than that, a hand cart to get the batteries from the boat to a plug, or portable generator to run the chargers at the boat will be your best bet.

I was told the same thing, DO NOT charge the trolling batteries with the outboard.  Since I have a electric at my slip, I never thought twice about it.

I'm running a 24v motorguide on my 19' skiff.  I utilize 2 deep cycle batteries to power the trolling motor which is completely separate from the 2 batteries used to power my outboard & other electrical components.  I have an onboard Guest charger which is hooked up to the trolling motor batteries, but of course I have power at my dock to make this work.  Not sure how you'd be able to charge those batteries without dock power.

Look into a product called the "Yandina Trollbridge" . Allows you to charge with 12v in parallel then switches to series (24v) when the trolling motor needs power .

I've been using one of their "combiners" for a few seasons..good product