wtfooptimax200

Canal Jig Shape

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

A few recent posts have inspired me to pose this question, it seems like it may turn into a fun debate.  As a Canal newbie, I have no skin in the game on this one and will be happy to learn from any responses to the post.  Here goes:

 

What's your favorite jighead shape for the canal?  There are obviously a myriad of choices....

 

THE INTENT OF THIS QUESTION IS TO SPARK A DEBATE ON HEAD SHAPE, NOT PLASTIC VS BUCKTAIL.  PLEASE IGNORE THE BACK PORTION OF THE HEAD FOR THIS DISCUSSION.  SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION.

Do-It Hot Lips Jig MoldsDo-It Bullet Nose Jig Molds473279.jpgDo-It Spearhead Jig MoldsSavage Gear Sand Eel Jighead 3pk

Edited by wtfooptimax200
EDITED TO CLARIFY QUESTION

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 mins ago, b-ware said:

What answer are you looking for????  The jig heads you are showing a  mix of rubber and bucktail...…………. 

I'll edit my post...I'm talking about the head shape only, ignore the back half.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wtfooptimax200 said:

I'll edit my post...I'm talking about the head shape only, ignore the back half.

What Sandbars said, the rounded head with the center to forward eye is the least likely to hang up.  For fast water a narrow profile is your best bet, like an Upperman Style or an ultra minnow style (Spro).  The Spire type as you have shown is a good all around head especially on sandy bottoms as it will kick up puffs of sand when worked on the bottom.  The Savage style head is my least favorite especially in the canal as it's pointy, narrow  shape digs into the mussel beds and hangs up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wtfooptimax200 said:

A few recent posts have inspired me to pose this question, it seems like it may turn into a fun debate.  As a Canal newbie, I have no skin in the game on this one and will be happy to learn from any responses to the post.  Here goes:

 

What's your favorite jighead shape for the canal?  There are obviously a myriad of choices....

 

THE INTENT OF THIS QUESTION IS TO SPARK A DEBATE ON HEAD SHAPE, NOT PLASTIC VS BUCKTAIL.  PLEASE IGNORE THE BACK PORTION OF THE HEAD FOR THIS DISCUSSION.  SORRY FOR ANY CONFUSION.

Do-It Hot Lips Jig MoldsDo-It Bullet Nose Jig Molds473279.jpgDo-It Spearhead Jig MoldsSavage Gear Sand Eel Jighead 3pk

Of all the heads you show the second one is the over all best for the canal , all the rest will hang up to some degree. On the other hand the rest will work great from the beach or boat , for the reason Bernie pointed out  If you do not allow the jig head to bottom out as with some style heads are designed for then you may well be fine on the application as long as you stay of the bottom . Like when the fish are feeding high in the water colunm that wull be a great fish catcher for that time frame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No love for this style head? 

I think bullet, savage style,or even ball all have their place.

You want to talk just heads but for me the head i use is a delivery method for the tail.whether its a ron z or sluggo or paddle tail or a jig with a curly tail.

My go to is a savage style i guess

 

20180812_122144.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

No love for this style head? 

I think bullet, savage style,or even ball all have their place.

You want to talk just heads but for me the head i use is a delivery method for the tail.whether its a ron z or sluggo or paddle tail or a jig with a curly tail.

My go to is a savage style i guess

 

20180812_122144.jpg

Is that the Do-It flat head?  It looks like it would get to the bottom in a hurry!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you use #2, snip off the barbs. All they do is split the rubber. 

 

I have molds for #1,#2,#3. As stated in the other thread I prefer #3. They all will work though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

No love for this style head? 

I think bullet, savage style,or even ball all have their place.

You want to talk just heads but for me the head i use is a delivery method for the tail.whether its a ron z or sluggo or paddle tail or a jig with a curly tail.

My go to is a savage style i guess

 

20180812_122144.jpg

Upperman style, AKA Lima Bean and, Flat head...……...

DSC_0030.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.