Mounting tv over mantel

Rate this topic

giant basshole

You guys are always helpful. Looking for some advice on mounting bracket options . Tv is going into the living room so looking to mount it over the mantel . There are tilting brackets , drop down brackets , etc . Looking for some feedback on what you have , what works , and what you like /don't like . Thanks .

BLM - Bass Lives Matter 

Race - human like everyone else

The ones that you can pull away from the wall and twist to the side make getting to cables much easier-  perhaps they all do this now.  And you will want the ability to tilt it at least a little- lets you deal with potential glare from lights/windows.  I don't know all the options, but look at how they are installed.  The couple I've used have let me mount the bracket to the wall, another to the TV and then just lift the TV and hang of the bracket and secure with a screw or two.  Easy peasy.  I've had luck with some non-name version that didn't cost much

If you are going to mount a sound bar, leave enough room to it fit below the tv. 

Get some velcro to manage the wires behind the tv, don’t use zip ties, they become to much of a pain to deal with later as you add items to the tv. Also, if you are going to mount the cable box behind the tv with RF sensor. Use industrial strength glue on 2 sided velcro to mount the cable box. If you mount it on the high side of the back it is out of the way of the mount. 

The articulating bracket also gives you enough room to use a power strip for all the items. 

When you get a Point of extending the cable line and need to split it, you have to remember that the cable and satellite companies use a digital splitter. You can find them in the home centers. I can’t remember off hand if dish network splitter you’d have to get from them. Sticks in the brain that you have to get them from them. 

Edited by saltfisherman

17 mins ago, riggler said:

how big a tv and how close to the wall do you wish to get it ?

It's a 65" . My smaller tv is on your typical tv stand in the family room . To mount this new one I have to remove a mirror from above the mantle , then see what my options are . I see they have recessed mount which I might try . Just think I need the drop type so your not straining your neck .

BLM - Bass Lives Matter 

Race - human like everyone else

We have 4 wall brackets in the house. 2 flat mount  and 2 with the arms that we can put ththe tv at any angle.  Biggest tv is a 42 inch.

All 4 came from Harbor Freight.  Yea that place sells some cheap **** but I got all 4 for less then $100 and havent had a single issue in 5 years.

Bought mine from BestBuy. Their brand under a different name.

First issue is height. Over mantel means center of screen is likely higher than your eyes. So need one that will tilt down. Second is fishing cable and electrical behind wall, where it can be hidden. Lots of slick electrical boxes designed specifically for this. Can find at big box stores, surprisingly. I bartered with my electrician for him to relocate power and cable in exchange for a custom made plug. Mine does not turn side to side. Important to consider as the primary cable box sits behind on the bracket. And it receives the signal from remote without adding any additional RF hardware.

Mounting is easy.  Wires and cable is another thing?  Because the framing is already there.  I don't know if they make a wireless , but that would be the way to go. 

Or you have to make some holes and then patch to hide the wires for an outlet box.  

Check Monoprice. Usually great prices on good quality mounts (and cables if you need those).

I've got my 55" mounted over the mantle of my fake electric fireplace. The mount tilts up/down but not side to side. I've found a slight downward tilt gets me the viewing angle I prefer, and reduces glare. The latter was more noticeable with my previous TV, a plasma (shown in pic below).  

P1050131.JPG

I'll have mine on the rocks.