viper2788

Help with guide spacing (Fuji KW)

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm building a Rodgeeks 9', 1-4oz MF spinning surf rod and I'd like to try out a concept guide layout with Fuji KW guides. I'm pairing it with a Shimano Saragosa 6k (2.3" spool lip diameter)... and if you're not familiar, it happens to have a parallel spool to the blank. Choke point? Original plan was to just use the recommended layout on the Rodgeeks website, but figured might as well design it the best I can while I'm at it. The distance from the butt to the reel stem is 22"(already built). The current guides I have are:

30, 25, 20, 16, 12, 3-10s +10 tip top

I'm willing to buy another guide or two for optimal performance.

Thanks.

Edited by viper2788

Id say your at a good starthing point however you can drop the 16 and go 30-25-20-12 to your runners.  What line are you planning on fishing?  Id prefer to build this rod KLH with all single footers however the KW will getr done as well.  The distance from the spool face to the stripper is gonna be about 30".  Bullzeye your reducers then static load your runners to tip.  

2nd - For KW - 30-25-20-12-8-tip or KL/RV set up. 

After using RV/KL, I'm not sure if I would ever build KW again (for the fishing that I do).

1 hour ago, tbush said:

Id say your at a good starthing point however you can drop the 16 and go 30-25-20-12 to your runners.  What line are you planning on fishing?  Id prefer to build this rod KLH with all single footers however the KW will getr done as well.  The distance from the spool face to the stripper is gonna be about 30".  Bullzeye your reducers then static load your runners to tip.  

Strictly 30 lb braid.

I've read various things online regarding this guide spacing... so basically 27x2.3(spool lip diameter) = 62.1"... So is this the direct distance from the tip of my spool shaft(at its highest position)  to the first size 10 guide?

11 hours ago, viper2788 said:

Strictly 30 lb braid.

I've read various things online regarding this guide spacing... so basically 27x2.3(spool lip diameter) = 62.1"... So is this the direct distance from the tip of my spool shaft(at its highest position)  to the first size 10 guide?

Ive played around with the 27x as well as using the gps from Fuji.  Ive found that just about every layout your gonna use with 30lb line and similar sized reel puts the stripper around 30" from the spool face.  That's my starting point.  Tape the guides on making sure your reduction train "bullzeyes" or close to it as possible and do some test casts with weights in the range you plan on fishing.  Post your results.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Lou's video (really a good one) uses MN's

A KW30L is about the same height as MN30 and pretty much regardless of reel will work using the method he describes.

Put a high frame guide like the KW30 (standard one) in the mix and it will be way to close to the reel  if you tuck it under the line from the axle to the choke (#12 or #10).

Try the KW30H at about 27-27.5" from the spool - should equate to about 53" from the butt with the butt to reel stem measurements you supplied.

Put the KW12 about 28.5" further out and you can then squeeze in 4x KW10's (or better 4x KT8's) between the #12 and the tip top.

Don't fixate too much on the choke point - if 27x results in a very tight spacing for the runners, for heavens sake pull the choke back a little to get better running guide spacing. Dead simple.

If it looks like the centre to centre (guide to guide) spacing of the reduction guides results in a gradual reduction in angle you have a winner - bulls-eye looks nifty when you look down the guides but it means very little.

I gradually reduce the angle from centre of guide to centre of guide and it works.

Every.

Single.

Time.

Top to bottom

1. 27x squeezing guides under the line from axle to #12 choke

2. Just move stripper forward (assuming KW30H)

3. Move stripper forward and pull #12 back (technically the #10 is the choke, but it matters very little)

Rodgeeks 9', 1-4oz.jpg

Edited by ZAFisher

I checked out Lou's video and will try laying out the guides based off of the info you guys have given me and tweak as I go. I really appreciate all the comments, I  didnt expect this much help in detail lol