Bass Ackwards

Connecticut Tolls

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

Having spent decades in various “low-tax” states I will tell  you that services, maintenance, etc. all drop when there are insufficient funds. You can’t petition against tolls and complain the highway restrooms are closed and interstate potholes are bad and bridges are determined to be decaying.  It may be popular to judge the programs that you feel are worthy of your tax dollars - but I expect your perspective would quickly change once cuts are to a program that affects you directly. 

I wouldn’t even bother. We just had a chance to be heard and another taxocrat was put in the governors spot. 

Tolls wont be the only thing we get shoved down our throats. 

We have the highest gas tax in the country, in one of the smallest states, that should be more than enough to keep the roads repaired. But the taxocrats in Harford use the gas tax for everything but roads.

18 hours ago, PaulS said:

Usage Tax. I'm in favor of tolls as long as they lock box the money for highways and transportation

Agree with this and am in favor of tolls for that reason.  The Mianus River Bridge collapse in 83 still haunts us around here.  So I'm in favor of having funds for repair/maintenance..... But the tax dollars won't go solely for that in time......just like the lottery was supposed to be majorly for schools (or if I recall solely...)

I"m smack in the middle of politics and find that many who don't want tolls are the first ones to complain about the roads and the highways and leaf pickups, etc.  The money has to come from somewhere.........

People in Connecticut really need to get informed.

Connecticut already spends more per mile on road maintenance that anybody else.

Connecticut has plenty of money for road and infrastructure projects from the gas taxes, both gross receipts taxes and at the pump taxes but guess where all that tax revenue goes.

Straight into the general fund to pay for other things.

Make no mistake.

Connecticut taxpayers are getting porked again.

Connecticut has overspent and underfunded the pension funds and other post employment benefits for decades and now those chickens are coming home to roost and there is no possible way that we can pay up.

Just you wait till the state eliminates funding to cities and towns and tries to dump the states liabilities back onto the cities and towns.

Connecticut is on a collision course with bankruptcy.

13 hours ago, Gotcow? said:

People in Connecticut really need to get informed.

Connecticut already spends more per mile on road maintenance that anybody else.

I want to be informed.  Do you have a link showing me where we rank on spending per mile. Because when I did a quick search I found the complete opposite.

"On spending, Connecticut ranks 47th in total disbursements per mile and 50th in administrative disbursements per mile"

56 mins ago, PaulS said:

I want to be informed.  Do you have a link showing me where we rank on spending per mile. Because when I did a quick search I found the complete opposite.

"On spending, Connecticut ranks 47th in total disbursements per mile and 50th in administrative disbursements per mile"

Not sure how to take that, is 47th mean we are at the high end of disbursements per mile or the low end? Which way is the scale going?

Posted (edited) · Report post

That means we are near the bottom per mile in the articles I found.  Connecticut and other small states spent a lot for admin per mile while the larger States spent less for admin per mile

Edited by PaulS

Maintenance Disbursements Per State-Controlled Mile"
Rank Name Dollars
1 Alabama $2,692
2 New Mexico $3,856
3 North Dakota $4,088
4 Mississippi $6,639
5 South Dakota $8,299
6 West Virginia $9,055
7 North Carolina $10,964
8 Montana $11,571
9 Wyoming $11,807
10 South Carolina $12,397
11 Arkansas $12,895
12 Missouri $13,942
13 Kansas $15,515
14 Kentucky $17,168
15 Georgia $19,271
16 Nevada $20,262
17 Wisconsin $20,412
18 Nebraska $21,160
19 Tennessee $22,120
20 Arizona $22,618
21 Iowa $23,759
22 Louisiana $24,285
23 Maine $24,619
24 Virginia $24,926
25 Idaho $25,265
26 Ohio $25,379
27 Oregon $26,919
28 Alaska $28,545
29 Texas $28,632
30 Michigan $32,152
31 Connecticut $35,384
32 Pennsylvania $35,519
33 Colorado $36,695
34 Minnesota $40,783
35 Delaware $42,949
36 Vermont $45,410
37 Oklahoma $47,769
38 Illinois $48,651
39 Washington $50,199
40 Utah $57,761
41 Hawaii $57,833
42 Indiana $58,183
43 New Hampshire $59,215
44 Florida $80,165
45 Massachusetts* $80,573
46 Maryland $81,912
47 California $84,005
48 Rhode Island** $84,603
49 New York $91,861
50 New Jersey $208,736
  Weighted Average $28,020

27 mins ago, PaulS said:

I suggest you go to notollsct.org. and ask them your questions.

They will provide you with some enlightenment and eye opening information better than can I.

Bottom line is this is outright theft from the CT taxpayers.

Connecticut has a spending problem, not a revenue problem.

I don't want to make this over the top political because it will end up getting moved to the PG.