cyprian10

Pompano and the Surf Table

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

In a recent article I read a Florida pompano expert stated that at ntimes one need to make long casts to beyond the 3rd sandbar. Can anyone elucidate the average length of cast that is required to achieve this. Question is based on deciding the type of rod/reel/line combo needed. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you want the large Pompano That is where they will be. Plenty of small ones in close.

Edited by JPO

It all depends on the particular beach, and when you are there. Sandbars form where they form. Some beaches it might be 100 yards, others 200. Usually though, there will be that third sandbar, even if small. So I elucidate....150 yards.

Unless that expert is a very good caster, using great gear and streamlined rigs, he probably means out there as far as his goes, which just happens to be past the third bar. I have met a few that could muster a 150 yard cast, using a viable rig, so they do exist. Most folks just find a beach where 100 yards is good enough. My favorite beach has areas where it’s waste deep at 100 yards from shore. 

I put forth a lot of effort and time learning a proper power cast, bought great rods that suit me, added reels that can serve line quickly, use light braid, aerodynamic sinkers and clipped rigs, and all just to be able to fish atop any sandbar I find that day.

Reaching out there means expanding your realm of influence. More opportunities, not fewer. I’m sure I have cast over the fish many times. However, a man that can throw long can also throw short. A man that can only throw short, gets to watch me catch fish out there. So distance gets Pooh poohed a lot, but it’s usually folks that can’t get out there. They catch plenty in close, so their happy I guess, but they don’t actually know how to get out there. Isn’t easy to do, or they would also be doing that, too. Many days have been saved by what I found out beyond the sandbars. So that expert was telling you a truth.

Internet recommendations for rods are fairly meaningless. What one can throw well is a telephone pole to another. Reels don’t give distance, they are simply along for the ride once you have done your part in creating sinker speed. Sinkers and rigs being streamlined only help in that they try to retain that speed a little longer. It really is all about the caster. Try to get with that expert, and fish with him. Your answers are best found when someone that knows about these things can analyze your abilities first, then make proper recommendations.

Set some little goals before you dream of the big goals. It isn’t easy to assemble everything you need to gather. I’ve set a goal of 200 yards with a baited and viable rig, using spinning gear. I already did it with baitcasters. Spinning gear has become very good, and I’m hopeful I’ll be finally able to put everything together and reach that distance.

Or just wade out there like most seem to do. Good luck. Them pompanyo sure eat good, and don’t seem to mind deep water at all. They cruise the beaches, and at distance you catch them as they go by.

3 mins ago, FishinMortician said:

It all depends on the particular beach, and when you are there. Sandbars form where they form. Some beaches it might be 100 yards, others 200. Usually though, there will be that third sandbar, even if small. So I elucidate....150 yards.

Unless that expert is a very good caster, using great gear and streamlined rigs, he probably means out there as far as his goes, which just happens to be past the third bar. I have met a few that could muster a 150 yard cast, using a viable rig, so they do exist. Most folks just find a beach where 100 yards is good enough. My favorite beach has areas where it’s waste deep at 100 yards from shore. 

I put forth a lot of effort and time learning a proper power cast, bought great rods that suit me, added reels that can serve line quickly, use light braid, aerodynamic sinkers and clipped rigs, and all just to be able to fish atop any sandbar I find that day.

Reaching out there means expanding your realm of influence. More opportunities, not fewer. I’m sure I have cast over the fish many times. However, a man that can throw long can also throw short. A man that can only throw short, gets to watch me catch fish out there. So distance gets Pooh poohed a lot, but it’s usually folks that can’t get out there. They catch plenty in close, so their happy I guess, but they don’t actually know how to get out there. Isn’t easy to do, or they would also be doing that, too. Many days have been saved by what I found out beyond the sandbars. So that expert was telling you a truth.

Internet recommendations for rods are fairly meaningless. What one can throw well is a telephone pole to another. Reels don’t give distance, they are simply along for the ride once you have done your part in creating sinker speed. Sinkers and rigs being streamlined only help in that they try to retain that speed a little longer. It really is all about the caster. Try to get with that expert, and fish with him. Your answers are best found when someone that knows about these things can analyze your abilities first, then make proper recommendations.

Set some little goals before you dream of the big goals. It isn’t easy to assemble everything you need to gather. I’ve set a goal of 200 yards with a baited and viable rig, using spinning gear. I already did it with baitcasters. Spinning gear has become very good, and I’m hopeful I’ll be finally able to put everything together and reach that distance.

Or just wade out there like most seem to do. Good luck. Them pompanyo sure eat good, and don’t seem to mind deep water at all. They cruise the beaches, and at distance you catch them as they go by.

You beat me to him. I was just going to suggest he go to "long distance forums" to read your thread.:th:

Thanks for your detailed reply FishMortician. I fish in Florida when I come over from my home in the U.K.  and keep a selection of tackle at my house in Davenport. I was thinking of bringing a long distance rod from here. However the conditions here are not as kind as in Florida, we have to deal with rough ground and 40 foot spring tides. I have brought a couple of rods from the U.K. but they proved over powerful in the sense that they  are much stiffer than the conditions require. I have been considering purchasing a Carolina cast pro 13’ 3-6 when I am over there but it to have been around for a while and built from Im6 carbon  whilst our latest rods are built using more advanced materials.  200yards with baited hooks is very long way to cast so at least I know that we are looking at cutting edge tackle. Maybe I should be looking at 14/15’ 3 piece EUROPEAN surf rods.

The pompano I’ve caught were all within a hundred yards, I’d say 50-75 actually   If I’m trying to fling it beyond that, the bait is not going with it.  

Depending on the beach, a lot of times the pompano will run in the first trough. 

Your home is over 100 miles South of me, as are your beaches. I don’t fish down there very often, so can’t give much in the way of advice. However, I used to use some seriously stiff rods, and just backset them. Most pompano bites are just the line going limp anyways. I think you should bring your distance stuff anyways.

I designed a fabulous rig for pompano. Let me know if you want to know how to do it. If you haven’t already.....search for a recipe from New Orleans called “pompano en papillote”. Mmmmmmmm

10 hours ago, FishinMortician said:

I designed a fabulous rig for pompano. Let me know if you want to know how to do it

Is this the rig you chatted to me about in the distance casting forum?

5 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Is this the rig you chatted to me about in the distance casting forum?

I use three rigs, one a ledger style fished in close to medium distance, a two hook flapper for close out to medium distances, and that distance rig for way out there. If I catch a nice fish in a certain location, I cast back out to it. If I catch two nice fish there, I cast all my rigs there. Sometimes that means swapping out rigs, but usually I can manage the spread just fine. Three different presentations.

Some days the little devils want shrimp, some they want clam or crab, and some days they want an artificial called FishBites. So having different presentations is also important. I tailor my hook traces to accept specific baits, as that can also provide an edge. I make one particular trace for using sand fleas.

None of this matters if you find a hungry school, as they are basically jacks and feed as such. Mitchell is correct about the pier thing, but I hate pier fishermen crowding me, fouling me, and some just plainly stink to high heaven. Surfers are like birds indicating where the bait pods are located. They look for specific wave formations, and those spots are good locations to search for pompano. They really aren’t that difficult to land either. They kind of unhook themselves, too.

I really don’t think the Distance Section will tolerate me hogging the scene with non distance rigs, so I’ll just retreat with my ideas into a thread I started elsewhere. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ll share in the Main Forum in a thread titled...”Just me messing around”.

Let me know what interests you, and I’ll share. If you have issues with a rig you fashion up, show it to me and explain. I like puzzles.

Edited by FishinMortician

On 3/9/2019 at 1:10 PM, FishinMortician said:

I’ll share in the Main Forum in a thread titled...”Just me messing around”.

Let me know what interests you, and I’ll share. If you have issues with a rig you fashion up, show it to me and explain. I like puzzles.

Thank you that's very kind. I've just returned from Holland so will post back a little more info in the next few days.

On 3/9/2019 at 7:30 AM, FishinMortician said:

I use three rigs, one a ledger style fished in close to medium distance, a two hook flapper for close out to medium distances, and that distance rig for way out there. If I catch a nice fish in a certain location, I cast back out to it. If I catch two nice fish there, I cast all my rigs there. Sometimes that means swapping out rigs, but usually I can manage the spread just fine. Three different presentations.

Some days the little devils want shrimp, some they want clam or crab, and some days they want an artificial called FishBites. So having different presentations is also important. I tailor my hook traces to accept specific baits, as that can also provide an edge. I make one particular trace for using sand fleas.

None of this matters if you find a hungry school, as they are basically jacks and feed as such. Mitchell is correct about the pier thing, but I hate pier fishermen crowding me, fouling me, and some just plainly stink to high heaven. Surfers are like birds indicating where the bait pods are located. They look for specific wave formations, and those spots are good locations to search for pompano. They really aren’t that difficult to land either. They kind of unhook themselves, too.

I really don’t think the Distance Section will tolerate me hogging the scene with non distance rigs, so I’ll just retreat with my ideas into a thread I started elsewhere. 

I know the little buggers were hungry when I managed to catch about 10 in less than an hour. So I decided to have fun and drop this jig down.

20190302_091946.jpg.eb228f20b78ac53b59f02fdc20598d69.jpg20190302_092625.jpg.a486c91aba4a700bd95582925a904127.jpg