BrianBM

Dredging in Mt. Sinai harbor

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Some possible bad news here.

I stopped by the beach just now, and chatted with the Public Safety guy there. I asked when the road will open up again, since the beach dredging's now done. He told me that the next step is the installation of a guardrail along the road, but that you can walk along the beach to the pier.

That's fine, as far as it goes, but now there'll be no fishable beach south of the pier. If No Fishing signs go up with the railing, as I suspect they will, there'll be no access to the channel.

Come Monday, I will call Parks & Recreation to ask. Nothing against pier fishermen, but you're not going to be able to plug cast safely, or walk the beach to swim a jig in a current seam. The channel edges will be completely out of reach. The spots at Landing Beach Road are now cut down to two spots, usable only at night with a permit. The pier at Satter work a jig along aly's Landing is in bad shape, and Brookhaven Town is probably too short of money to repair it.    

So: a shortened pier and probable loss of beach access south of the pier.

There may be a safety/liability concern here, too. The area south of the pier has always been posted against swimming. The No Swimming signs were ignored. I've cautioned several families not to let small children paddle around at the point (this, with current flowing out to the Sound at several knots) and while one grandmother listened and took her preteens back to the bathing beach, other people felt strongly that I should mind my own business. The Town may see removing the bar as eliminating a liability risk.

8 hours ago, BrianBM said:

That's fine, as far as it goes, but now there'll be no fishable beach south of the pier.

Fishing there was always much, much better than pier.

At high tide, that small cove between point and rocks by marina was almost, always full of bait fish.

And, where is a bait, you know the rest.

Well not anymore

I took a further look today. The pier is shorter, and most of the timber looks new. The riprap behind it is new. Come spring, I'll take a shot, but it looks like the boat channel is far out of reach now. There is now a no-fishing sign adjacent to the pier, on the Sound side of the pier. If they put up no-fishing signs along the railing that will go up in front of the asphalt, the place will be useless to all but the most casual of fishermen. 

One hardy soul was fishing from the pier today, looking for herring; no success.

Wandering will they still sell night permit for this spot, like they used to?

3 hours ago, BrianBM said:

There is now a no-fishing sign adjacent to the pier, on the Sound side of the pier. If they put up no-fishing signs along the railing that will go up in front of the asphalt, the place will be useless to all but the most casual of fishermen. 

5 hours ago, BrianBM said:

The night fishing permit covers a number of places, not just this one.

I'll call B'haven Town Hall and see if I can get any details.

Yes. Permit covers several spots, Sound and South Shore. On the North side,  this was the spot where you can count on parking with no problem. Anther two spots, that I like, in Miller Place, where long gone for me, because of the parking problems.

I don't have residential parking sticker since I live in Nassau county.

I don't know why but I never liked Stoney Brook and West Meadow.

I never been to any of the South Shore spots.