Mike Jamiolkowski

New to Cape Cod Fishing

Rate this topic

35 posts in this topic

19 mins ago, bdowning said:

I've actually seen guys sleeping directly on the rocks. You either have to be very tired or very drunk to pull that off. :eek:

Seeing that they were on federal property I seriously doubt that they were stoned...…………..

I have seen many people, at all hours, sleeping in lawn chairs, on the ground and once, a hammock tied to two trees...…………………….

11 hours ago, CoffeeHangover said:

Where would it even be safe to park and sleep in your car without getting bounced out by police?  Will they kick you out of the rest area lots?

The police are doing their job and ate not the enemy. The scumbags are the enemy and it seems like they outnumber the fishermen. Be careful always carry   The canal sucks , too many of the enemy there and like boat fish - canal fish don’t count. 

11 hours ago, Beachorbust said:

Is there a Walmart in buzzards bay? You can probably sleep there.

Not anymore. Have to go to the other side of wareham.

As for sleeping in the car in a canalside lot, they'll check you sometimes. Particularly peak season, July and august. 

23 hours ago, bdowning said:

I've actually seen guys sleeping directly on the rocks.

I've actually sat on a "comfortable" rock with my head resting on my folded arms while waiting for first light. A ten minute nap does wonders.  :)

On 3/9/2019 at 9:57 AM, bdowning said:

I've actually seen guys sleeping directly on the rocks. You either have to be very tired or very drunk to pull that off. :eek:

In another time it was common practice to fall asleep on the rocks and walk way after a night of fishing . It was here that the early term of canal Rat was used as the many rats in search of food often would crawl in your waders looking for food or scamper all over you picking off the slime from the eels you were using . I would not suggest sleeping in the woods any more, to many ticks .

One can still find a few places to park and sleep , but day light is key is sleeping in peace not during the dark hours.

Going to Shawme Crowell State Forest is still a good idea 

Ok so these are the ones I'm looking at not shore witch one to get I will be casting from the cape cod canal shore alot of people are suggesting the saragosa 10000. But I also heard that it has a level wind I'll be using plugs/poppers

Screenshot_20190321-081513_Chrome.jpg

32 mins ago, Peterf said:

Ok so these are the ones I'm looking at not shore witch one to get I will be casting from the cape cod canal shore alot of people are suggesting the saragosa 10000. But I also heard that it has a level wind I'll be using plugs/poppers

Screenshot_20190321-081513_Chrome.jpg

Here is the best advise eva….Go to the New England Salt Water Fishing Expo this weekend in Providence R.I. do a touchie feelie to all of the reels and, pair the reel up with a rod.  

PS your local shops know a lot more than Bass Pro and Cabelas…………...

When do you guys go for the 7.5 versus the 9 inch swimmers?  I just started fishing the canal last fall and the 9 inch ones seem insane to me.  I would imagine the 9" ones, being bulkier and a slow sinker might not be as good for fast tides but it's all new to me.

On 3/9/2019 at 9:57 AM, bdowning said:

I’ve taken a 30-40 minute siesta on the rip-rap a few times.  Then again I could fall asleep on top of a picket fence so no great shakes there.