LaMadretuya

Which roof carrier do you use for your Kayak?

36 posts in this topic

I've been looking into several different carriers for the kayak to use with my roof rack but with so many on the market, it's been difficult deciding. I have been looking into this setup which looks nice and fairly easy to load up.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FUHDWAI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_qjcGCbQWD467V

But I'd still like to see what other guys have been using and to anybody that might have these, how do you like them? 

Thanks for the help 

-Mike

I use the Yakima Sweetroll along with the Yakima Showboat to load a Hobie Outfitter on a 4Runner.  Works well, I can do it by myself.

V shaped foam blocks. Been using the same ones for years with 4 different kayaks.  Solid hold, easy to use, durable, and less than $20 a pair.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Plenty of options,  it all depends on how much you want to spend...I bought this set several years ago, they were around 45 then, now i think they can be had for around 60.....figured it was a temporary solution and I'd get something else later on.....I still have them,  only thing I had to do was resurface the saddles, the rubber kind of got messed up over time so I just glued on some felt i got from McMaster....  

Whatever you get, be sure they fit your roof rack bar style

Best...

download.jpeg.63165b3fcbf0e21a0fd7392ae57204fc.jpeg

Edited by BillZ

Plain bars here. Most boats don't have a keel that requires those kind of pads. Mine that have keels ride hull up.

I purchased a pair of Rola J racks and its so easy to load, I found em for less than $50 new but I'm sure some cheaper J racks would work just as well and I've seen some for $20. I'd get those racks again unless I have a truck. Also, an important thing to consider is the max weight the crossbars can handle, if you use J racks that weight is all in one place, so if you kayak is 80+ lbs could be an issue if it is all in one spot. If you use the cradles or just one the bars the weight is more spread out because there are more points of contact with the cross bars.

5 hours ago, Fun King said:

I wrapped chord around my MOE racks on my Yukon for padding, that's it

roof rack.jpg

Thats a good idea! I bought the rhino rack set-up and installed it to the cap on the bed of my truck and last season i pretty much just threw my hobie onto the bars and tied them down with some ratchet straps....... But i later heard that tying the kayak down with ratchet straps could start damaging the plastic or contorting it? Not sure how true that might be but i began to look at other options after hearing it

Edited by LaMadretuya

On 3/6/2019 at 0:05 PM, Darth Baiter said:

I use the Yakima Sweetroll along with the Yakima Showboat to load a Hobie Outfitter on a 4Runner.  Works well, I can do it by myself.

Do you end up strapping down the front and back with something too?

Use cam buckle lashing straps, ratchets are sometimes overkill.

Edited by cheech

11 mins ago, LaMadretuya said:

Do you end up strapping down the front and back with something too?

I bought the tether kit for the ends.  I have front and rear receiver hitches and strap to those.  Yak rides hull down.  Had a Sequoia in the past with only the Showboat and foam blocks.  That I could load hull up and didn't need front/back tie downs.  Went from NJ to PEI, never an issue.