libertyminded

Delaware River safe wading flow rate?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Catch and release Shad, Im trying to understand these flow rate numbers posted! Ive been scouting and the water looks dangerously fast for wading! So while im checking numbers at home I don't know what would be worth the 2 1/2 drive from the coast? I know Shad guys are up on these things. When kayaking I like fast water too makes nice back eddies not good for Shad from what I read but Im really just a salt guy looking for some bucket list fish. Ive caught plenty in salt on teasers pluggin, as by catch on big rods, fishing for keeper size stripers! I fish alone not by choice up there! Don't wanna waist time or take undo risks is all. Im getting conflicting numbers when searching?

Edited by libertyminded

It depends on the area. 

It depends on the depth.

Using Trenton, 30k is roaring. It’s at about 13k right now. Both are wadeable, but obviously at the higher flow you are stuck to the bank and generally knee deep or less. But even at 8k in the summer certain areas can be difficult to wade. 

So in other words, unless someone is going to hand it to you, you probably are going to have to find out by trial and error. But there should always be fishable/wadeable areas. You may just have to adjust locations or expectations. Just don’t go nuts, seems a person or two dies every year on the river. 

Edited by PhilCVG

When sizing up a river or creek, always use the USGS water data.   I use matamoras as a reference.   This is where 86 crosses the delaware, NY side is port Jervis.  The same road has stewart airport on it.

The nice bit about matamoras gaging station, it also has water temp......

I use 4ft as the canoe is going to drag or not.....  For north of that area.   I forgot exactly where, but the NYC watershed system does channel flow through there.  So, it can be a bit better than nature.  I think they maintain min flow for fish populations, or reservior overflow when full.  The site info tells more about how they regulate the water.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01434000

As I said 4ft canoes start to get annoying at time.  Above 6ft, I ditch the fishing poles and have more fun on the canoe when Im there.   Been a long time since I went for a good ride like that though.....

I'm new to shad, but the shad like to hold off before crossing obstacles like skinner falls or river wide eel traps.  I know north of I-86 up to calicoon mostly.  Rock bass, too small to keep smallmouth, and some slammer panfish.   Caught a 2lb+ bluegill in a wide bend on a gold #2 vibrax spinner about a decade ago.

http://drsfa.org/shad-fishing

1 hour ago, PhilCVG said:

It depends on the area. 

It depends on the depth.

Using Trenton, 30k is roaring. It’s at about 13k right now. Both are wadeable, but obviously at the higher flow you are stuck to the bank and generally knee deep or less. But even at 8k in the summer certain areas can be difficult to wade. 

So in other words, unless someone is going to hand it to you, you probably are going to have to find out by trial and error. But there should always be fishable/wadeable areas. You may just have to adjust locations or expectations. Just don’t go nuts, seems a person or two dies every year on the river. 

Are u guys who r wading the Delaware using 

korkers? Is felt allowed? Thanks

7 mins ago, yosco said:

Are u guys who r wading the Delaware using 

korkers? Is felt allowed? Thanks

I used Korkers or spikes up until last year. Made the switch to felt and won’t go back. I felt like felt gave me better traction on a wider variety of surfaces and bottom. Spikes were not great on shale or other smooth surfaces. Either work though. 

Edited by PhilCVG

8 hours ago, salt deficient said:

When sizing up a river or creek, always use the USGS water data.   I use matamoras as a reference.   This is where 86 crosses the delaware, NY side is port Jervis.  The same road has stewart airport on it.

The nice bit about matamoras gaging station, it also has water temp......

I use 4ft as the canoe is going to drag or not.....  For north of that area.   I forgot exactly where, but the NYC watershed system does channel flow through there.  So, it can be a bit better than nature.  I think they maintain min flow for fish populations, or reservior overflow when full.  The site info tells more about how they regulate the water.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?01434000

As I said 4ft canoes start to get annoying at time.  Above 6ft, I ditch the fishing poles and have more fun on the canoe when Im there.   Been a long time since I went for a good ride like that though.....

I'm new to shad, but the shad like to hold off before crossing obstacles like skinner falls or river wide eel traps.  I know north of I-86 up to calicoon mostly.  Rock bass, too small to keep smallmouth, and some slammer panfish.   Caught a 2lb+ bluegill in a wide bend on a gold #2 vibrax spinner about a decade ago.

http://drsfa.org/shad-fishing

Thank you for taking the time to answer   my Question much appreciated! Good luck this season and stay safe.. 

Thanks everyone who replied. I think I’m ready, PFD check, felt check wading staff yup, new 9’ st croix pan fish, 24 new flutter spoons. Can’t wait to catch em up!! Just being up there is enough of a pleasure. Fish will be a bonus..

Having the right mindset, check!

I have been been in the mid to upper Delaware river swimming & canoeing a few dozen times. You’ll be fine if wade in slowly. Anywhere dark and very calm looking usually means it’s deep and possibly fast moving. I always wanted to use a float tube fishing outfit up that way. Someday maybe. 

Have fun and share some pics in the Fall when nobody will mug the sweetwater.