Jay in the Bay

Tackle/set-ups for Southeast FL surf/pier fishing?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

if your pier fishing better have a good pair of gloves to bring up your catch # 20 lb line , if your not going to have a net ,in that case have a few cold beers for the guy who loans his net for your catch on the pier :howdy:

23 hours ago, JTF said:

Not a box, a heavy plastic tube with plenty of packing and use electrician tape, holds and comes off better. Just shipped two Loomis rods with no problem. Regular cardboard box is for tackle, waders, etc. I've shipped a 12ft NRS raft with break down oars and frame to Montana/Idaho, in a Walmart hard plastic tool box.  

Loomis ships rods from factory in hard cardboard tubes, have shipped dozens of times to west and east coast in plastic tubes. Spirit airline is the same as Frontier,  no carry-on for rods due to size even for 2 piece. 

If you can check them to baggage, try a Flambeau Bazuka, about $50, works well on plane or any shipper, lockable. Every town of any size in FL has a shipping center, there are three in Jupiter/Tequesta. If there is a major airport, you will find at least one.  

Or if you have people there, buy a couple medium priced rods and leave them stored, reels are no problem in your luggage. My friends have room for a surf cart too, haha. 

Yeah, I avoid that mess.

South West: 2 checked bags per person @ 50lbs each for no extra charge (one bag for all the fishing tackle), 1 carry on bag (I stick my reels in this), and my carry on item (2-piece rods in hand).

Or just learn to do the pier swing LOL... if its a good fishing pier then there should be someone with a net... i crack up when i tell people that i have a net and wait a second and they still try to bring the fish up... You know how that ends:banghd:  We had a guy catch a monster flounder and i even yell at him that i was coming... well you know flounder for some ungodly reason they can flip off a hook in a heartbeat and half way up he flip and was gone... i just look at the guy and smile as i walk away..DA!!...

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm a Southeast Florida snow bird from Long Island. Spend seven months a year down here. Usually use my 9' foot surf rod for beach and my 7' foot rods for for piers, sea walls and intercostal fishing. 

Northeast /NJ/LI tackle works good down here too.

Edited by Fishing & Hunting

I was in Islamorada in January, brought a lot of tackle but went to bass pro and got an 8’ ugly stick with a Cabo reel for $50. When I left I gave it to a kid that was hanging around the shop. I brought my Shimano reel but never used it because the combo they sold was cheaper than just a rod. Bought a bucket at Home Depot, filled it with shrimp and was catching tons of snappers. Can’t wait to go back, just loved it. I need months there not weeks.

"When I left I gave it to a kid that was hanging around the shop."

You're a good soul Turk. Father said, "a smile and a thank you go a long way...and they're both free."

Quick gear tip- make sure you pick up a bubble/straw rig or two to toss of the piers if you hit the east coast. They really work well for spanish or cero mackerel if they're in the area, and will catch other species, too. 

15119907673681100191228.jpg