Jay in the Bay

Tackle/set-ups for Southeast FL surf/pier fishing?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Thanks to all who commented on my eariler post requesting tackle recommendations for SWFL during my vacation in early April.

I am thinking of taking a ride to the east coast at some point in that trip, and want to do some fishing there as well.  I'm thinking somewhere around Port St. Lucie southward to Miami.

My plan was to ship my 9' surf rod paired with a SSV4500/20lb braid.

I have a bunch of Northeast/NJ fishing tackle (1-2oz bucktails, gulp, swimmers, etc).

Any recs on what I should take with me, or buy when I'm down there?

Thanks!

What you listed should work well... and bring whatever you are allowed.. i would also bring a med setup just incase you want to mess around with our freshwater fish and it will also work for inshore... 

1 hour ago, Drako said:

What you listed should work well... and bring whatever you are allowed.. i would also bring a med setup just incase you want to mess around with our freshwater fish and it will also work for inshore... 

Thanks.  I have a medium set up already there for when im on the west coast but I'll be sure to bring it w me.  

I bring pretty much the same setup ,But I have a freshwater bass rod for  sibiki rigs come April more bait shows up and it’s nice to get live if you can especially if the water is super clear. I also bring some snag hooks cause sometimes there are some horse mullet around. If you are gonna fish at Juno pier a stout 7-8 rod is nice to have as well some snook, cobia and tarpon come around. It’s worth fishing there one day even if you are not into piers it’s a neat place .

Travel to fish the same east shore area you ask about, and ship my rods and tackle to a "shipping/mailing service"  ahead of flying down.

Found I was rod heavy, took too much tackle that was hard to get down to the water and pier/jetty without a surf cart. Tried using a small mesh back pack, it was a pain to use because it had to be taken off to get to gear. Chase a fish and the pack was there in the sand had anyone wanted it.

This year am pairing everything down probably  3 rods, ship some tackle. When surf fishing I take tackle in a, (hate this name) fishing fanny pack, or a larger Mountainsmith Day Lumbar pack. And found only one rod on the beach works for me. Carrying bait without a cart is a challenge.

As mentioned, your 9' should cover a lot  of the areas. (I take a 10 1/2' 1264S 1-3 1/2 oz for metal/lures in the surf). If you have room in the shipping tube, a short 7' 3/8-2 oz that is pretty stout for trout/reds but still light enough to catch bait. 

Several recent threads with suggestions for travel, a good one imo was a reasonably priced St Croix 7'or 8' Catfish 2 piece, never held one but may drop by a big box store and see how they feel. 

There are plenty of good tackle shops down southeast.  

56 mins ago, JTF said:

Travel to fish the same east shore area you ask about, and ship my rods and tackle to a "shipping/mailing service"  ahead of flying down.

Found I was rod heavy, took too much tackle that was hard to get down to the water and pier/jetty without a surf cart. Tried using a small mesh back pack, it was a pain to use because it had to be taken off to get to gear. Chase a fish and the pack was there in the sand had anyone wanted it.

This year am pairing everything down probably  3 rods, ship some tackle. When surf fishing I take tackle in a, (hate this name) fishing fanny pack, or a larger Mountainsmith Day Lumbar pack. And found only one rod on the beach works for me. Carrying bait without a cart is a challenge.

As mentioned, your 9' should cover a lot  of the areas. (I take a 10 1/2' 1264S 1-3 1/2 oz for metal/lures in the surf). If you have room in the shipping tube, a short 7' 3/8-2 oz that is pretty stout for trout/reds but still light enough to catch bait. 

Several recent threads with suggestions for travel, a good one imo was a reasonably priced St Croix 7'or 8' Catfish 2 piece, never held one but may drop by a big box store and see how they feel. 

There are plenty of good tackle shops down southeast.  

Thanks for the advice.  A "fanny pack" is a great idea.  I agree, it's a PITA to fiddle with a back pack.  

I already have a medium weight Penn Squadron II at my destination, and I'll be carrying my SSV4500 for it that I will also use on the 9ft.

Do you remember off hand how much your shipping cost was?  Approximately?
I'm going to be shipping my 9ft, and debating if I should ship my tackle, or put it in my checked bag.

I use USPS to what address will hold till arrival, send my tackle/case in a cardboard box by itself,  any small stuff I can grab down there is left at home.  A rod tube sent USPS is far cheaper these days than the others. Nine foot one piece may not work with their regs? All my long rods are two piece. 

I have two tubes, a 6" dia hard plastic telescoping lockable case or a homemade 3" or 4" pvc (not schedule 40) with end caps. Plenty of small bubble wrap. Just sent two one piece casting rods, 8ft pvc tube and it was about  $30 priority ground takes a little longer.

It helps to have a local post office that knows weight and length specs.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Jay in the Bay said:

Thanks for the advice.  A "fanny pack" is a great idea.  I agree, it's a PITA to fiddle with a back pack.  

I already have a medium weight Penn Squadron II at my destination, and I'll be carrying my SSV4500 for it that I will also use on the 9ft.

Do you remember off hand how much your shipping cost was?  Approximately?
I'm going to be shipping my 9ft, and debating if I should ship my tackle, or put it in my checked bag.

If you are traveling with a 9ft or shorter 2-piece rod with a 50/50 split it will work fine as a carry on item, in those cases I strongly recommend just taking those rods on the airplane as a carry on item. Just tape or band them together.

I have shipped rods before, but only rods that are longer then what I mentioned. Shipping isn't to bad so long as you try to stay under 6ft in length.

I should point out that I always stick with Southwest, followed by Delta and American. They are very welcoming and accommodating towards anglers.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

9 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

If you are traveling with a 9ft or shorter 2-piece rod with a 50/50 split it will work fine as a carry on item, in those cases I strongly recommend just taking those rods on the airplane as a carry on item. Just tape or band them together.

I have shipped rods before, but only rods that are longer then what I mentioned. Shipping isn't to bad so long as you try to stay under 6ft in length.

I should point out that I always stick with Southwest, followed by Delta and American. They are very welcoming and accommodating towards anglers.

Thanks.  Unfortunately I am flying Frontier and their baggage policy is the pits.  It will end up costing me more in baggage fees that what I payed for the rod.

My 9 ft is a two-piece, and I have it packed in a box that a similar rod got shipped to me, so I feel pretty confident it's safe to ship.  

27 mins ago, Jay in the Bay said:

Thanks.  Unfortunately I am flying Frontier and their baggage policy is the pits.  It will end up costing me more in baggage fees that what I payed for the rod.

My 9 ft is a two-piece, and I have it packed in a box that a similar rod got shipped to me, so I feel pretty confident it's safe to ship.  

You are going to ship the rod in a box or a tube?

cast net

sand spike

toothy critter rigs

Garbage bags to keep bait berried in the sand for freshness

and to bring fish home and the obvious, clean up.

Drop knife leg holster - for baiting, rigging, cleaning fish.

Back pack for gear!

Not a box, a heavy plastic tube with plenty of packing and use electrician tape, holds and comes off better. Just shipped two Loomis rods with no problem. Regular cardboard box is for tackle, waders, etc. I've shipped a 12ft NRS raft with break down oars and frame to Montana/Idaho, in a Walmart hard plastic tool box.  

Loomis ships rods from factory in hard cardboard tubes, have shipped dozens of times to west and east coast in plastic tubes. Spirit airline is the same as Frontier,  no carry-on for rods due to size even for 2 piece. 

If you can check them to baggage, try a Flambeau Bazuka, about $50, works well on plane or any shipper, lockable. Every town of any size in FL has a shipping center, there are three in Jupiter/Tequesta. If there is a major airport, you will find at least one.  

Or if you have people there, buy a couple medium priced rods and leave them stored, reels are no problem in your luggage. My friends have room for a surf cart too, haha. 

Sandspike are you reading his post...he is trying to keep his weight down.. you know fish like a ninja...and ninja don't drag around castnet/sandspike... now if was going to live down here and was getting setup for our type of fishing from shore then yes what you said would work... but all he is doing is flying in... fishing and going back home...LOL..

and instead of a fanny pack.. look up "Magellan Outdoors wader sling pack"  i believe mine was a little over $20 and it great when all i want to do is hit a spot and keep moving.. holds just about everything i need and it can be move around your body so it won't be in the way, but easy to move to get to things... and i prefer a backpack, but that's because i tend to carry more then most...some people carry light, i always have the mindset of "i rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it"  but to each his own on that...

Make a list of things you need then weed out stuff...here something to think about.. bottle of water/sun tanning cream/something to take pictures with/throwaway rain poncho/ hat/bug spray(freshwater)....Lures> ones that can work all area of the water (top/middle/deep) .....and now for the bad news... we have people down here that prey on tourist... so always be aware of your surrounding, don't leave things behind and expect to be there when you get back...even on the piers people will come and walk off with your stuff if you arent watching it...(happens alot) ..... If you go to an area and it just doesnt feel right... listen to that little voice and leave...I'm not trying to scare you.. i just want you to be aware that chit happens.... enjoy your stay, have fun and just know that there are chitty people everywhere... and you should be good to go...

oh and that bag i listed... they sell it at "Academy sports" if you don't have one near you.. you can always get the bag online...