nfrankrs

Vise Suggestions

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I am thinking about getting into fly tying and I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on a vise at a good price. I don't really know what an average price for a vise is, I have seen them anywhere from like $40 to $500, but I am trying to keep it sub $100 but willing to go a little higher if it's worth it. I spend half the year living in Vermont and I need something to do during these harsh winters. 

I would look for a used Peak or Renzetti Traveler vise, if I were you.  These occasionally come up for sale for around $100.  You want to make sure you get a vise that holds the hook securely and does not allow it to slip in the jaws.  Both of these vises are "rotary", allowing you to turn the jaws for viewing the backside of the hook or for wrapping materials on the hook.  Many people also like the Regal vise, which holds hooks very securely, but does not have the same rotary features.

Ted

for inexpensive check out the danvise.  I used one for years.  I now use a dyna king...which if you buy one will last forever.

I will second tha Danvise, it will last you a lifetime do a goggle search, you will be glad you did

Griffin Odyssey Spider is a great sub-$100 vise. It is not going to hold very small or very large hooks as securely as what some others have recommended.

Another vote for the Renzetti Traveler.  I've had mine 21 years, tied 100's of flies from Trout to Sailfish, carried it all over on my trips and I still love my vise.  Spend some money on a decent tool, you'll not regret this purchase.

I will add one more comment about the Danvise, I haves used this vise for well over 20 years and now that my son bought me a new vise for Christmas, That is the vise I now use in Mass but my Danvise will move to Sunny Florida to finishing out its days.

if I did not get the new vise for Christmas I would still be using my Danvise and it is right at your $100 mark, a point I did not forget.

I picked up a Peak Rotary, I’m happy with it , well made , price wasn’t overly prohibitive , like any other tool ,quality pays , it doesn’t cost . But the best you can afford, you won’t regret it . Bill J