GilV

Anyone use Solarez for making Surf Candies?

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

50 mins ago, GilV said:

This is what happens to Devcon epoxy after a long time. This fly dried crystal clear when first made. They are my own fault though, from tying to many at once. If I use epoxy again, I will tie just what I need and only tie when one is lost or damaged. Takes some of the fun out of tying though, if you have to tie on a need basis.

100_1479.JPG

Use the 30 minute and that will "cure" your yellowing for many years.I use both Solarz and 30 minute epoxy when tying[but not together].I use thin Solarz for small heads and flex for medium heads.30 minute epoxy for large heads mostly due to expense of the solarz.

5 hours ago, Striperknight said:

This is a lot of extra effort. What do you feel you get from the E-tex layer?

it is if you're doing a few flies, however, if you're a dozen or more than it's not bad.  Somebody (Jabster maybe?) made a great surf candy how too in the fly tying forum.  there are two distinct gluing parts in his video, gluing the hairs in place and then after adding eyes and belly, filling in the body.  If you do them in batches in two steps it's not so bad.  also etex costs like 1/10 of solarez

When you guys are talking about etex, do you mean Envirotex lite? I was going to try that. I see a lot of guys use them to finish plugs which is something else I want to do this year. If so how long do you spin it on a wheel? I see the directions states 8 hours, but takes 48 hours to fully harden.

Thanks

Gil

5 hours ago, GilV said:

This is what happens to Devcon epoxy after a long time. This fly dried crystal clear when first made. They are my own fault though, from tying to many at once. If I use epoxy again, I will tie just what I need and only tie when one is lost or damaged. Takes some of the fun out of tying though, if you have to tie on a need basis.

100_1479.JPG

Have not used that stuff in years, but if memory serves if you store flies out of light it takes them longer to yellow..??

I've used it and like it.

I've used for different Solarez products.

I haven't had any issues with it being tacky after curing and never needed to coat it with SHHN afterwards.

I think tackiness might have more to due with the light you are using, especially if the batteries are weak.

I'm looking forward to trying out their new color resins, which should be on the market soon.

Between Solarez and Gulff, lots of good choice will be available for those that like using UV cures.

SF

On 3/6/2019 at 9:08 AM, GilV said:

Anyone use Solarez for making Surf Candies? If so which one flows out the best? I was going to purchase the the three pack with Thin Hard, Thick Hard and Flex. If any of these are NG I will order them separately.

Thanks

Gil

I use the solarez thick for all my surf candies one secret get warm water and let it sit for 5 minutes or so and it would come out better ... or another opting the I do is put in the microwave for like 10 seconds and it comes out just like the hard or flex one . Try it out 

Yellowed epoxy is annoying (to me; I don't know that the fish care at all), but it's the 5-minute stuff that yellows so fast. Devcon 2-ton is far more resistant to yellowing. It takes a while on the wheel to set up, I wouldn't use it if I needed a fly now, but the 2-ton is fine. 

E-tex epoxy is one I hadn't heard of, until this thread.

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

E-tex epoxy is one I hadn't heard of, until this thread.

It's actually Environtex Lite and if you go to the plug building forum, it is by far the most popular epoxy for plugs because it never yellows, but it takes forever to set and cure and it's finicky, if not mixed perfectly it wont harden correctly 

16 hours ago, GilV said:

When you guys are talking about etex, do you mean Envirotex lite? I was going to try that. I see a lot of guys use them to finish plugs which is something else I want to do this year. If so how long do you spin it on a wheel? I see the directions states 8 hours, but takes 48 hours to fully harden.

Thanks

Gil

Ferret the directions I read stated the above. How long do you let it cure on the wheel. Hopefully 8 and not 48. 

Thanks

Gil

On 3/7/2019 at 9:12 AM, slip n slide said:

Right? Open a box w/ a bunch of flies made w/ it and you can't help but get a strong whiff of chemicals.I use Loon UV wader repair: no smell and nice finish.The online trading post has had a two tubes and a light deal for pennies on the dollar for a while now and I stocked up on a few.

My dentist says UV has a shelf life but maybe it's just the stuff he uses for teeth....?

When UV coating or glue is hit by the light it hardens instantly. The light drives out a catalyst called benzophrenone ( spell check ? ) which is used to keep the product from hardening until the light hits it. That's what you smell and it is harmless and will easily evaporate. UV printing plants all smell of that product. If the glues are not hardening then there is something wrong with the light source / power or the product.

7 hours ago, JoeGBreezy said:

When UV coating or glue is hit by the light it hardens instantly. The light drives out a catalyst called benzophrenone ( spell check ? ) which is used to keep the product from hardening until the light hits it. That's what you smell and it is harmless and will easily evaporate. UV printing plants all smell of that product. If the glues are not hardening then there is something wrong with the light source / power or the product.

I'm using the light the loon came w/ and tried it and another on the solarez,only the solarez continues to smell after hardening although it is not tacky