Anyone use Solarez for making Surf Candies?

Rate this topic

GilV

Anyone use Solarez for making Surf Candies? If so which one flows out the best? I was going to purchase the the three pack with Thin Hard, Thick Hard and Flex. If any of these are NG I will order them separately.

Thanks

Gil

I don't make very large surf candies ( up to size 1 ) and some of them are made with flex tubing. I like the Thin Hard Solarez. I really haven't found anything where I had an issue making a fly that the Thin Hard did not do the job.

Edited by bonefishdick

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

Thanks, I tried other UV stuff and it doesn't flow like epoxy. It is sticky too. I was going to go back to epoxy and silicone. I used to use silicone with photo flow for soft fly heads. I will try the thick and thin. If the flex is sticky I will pass on that.

Thanks

Gil

I like solarez to build the shape because hold the shape instantly, then I finish the body with etex lite two part epoxy, you need to spin it, take 4 hrs to set and days to cure but it never yellows...... finishing the bodies with UV resins leaves a tacky feel which can be covered with hard as nails.... i still prefer the epoxy

I used to use Devcon 5 minute epoxy. It dries crystal clear, but after a long while it discolors. I liked the UV since it is not supposed to to discolor. I have a drying wheel for epoxy flies. I am going to try it with the UV stuff I have. I will put it on the wheel to let it flow out then hit it with the light while it spins. Maybe that will help me get the stuff to flow like I am used to. Still going to try Solarez though.

12 hours ago, ferret said:

I like solarez to build the shape because hold the shape instantly, then I finish the body with etex lite two part epoxy, you need to spin it, take 4 hrs to set and days to cure but it never yellows...... finishing the bodies with UV resins leaves a tacky feel which can be covered with hard as nails.... i still prefer the epoxy

This is a lot of extra effort. What do you feel you get from the E-tex layer?

20 mins ago, Striperknight said:

This is a lot of extra effort. What do you feel you get from the E-tex layer?

I know you build the body shape first before you get to the E-Tex layer, I am assuming the coating is thin when it goes on the spinning wheel. My question is have you ever tried making one without the E-Tex layer and fishing it to see if it yellows. The thing that struck me the most of all the comments on this thread was when it was mentioned that the fly would turn milky if it was made with natural materials, not synthetics. 

I would still try one one fly without the coating no matter what it was made with to see what happened to the  Solarez. It would worth a try if it would eliminate that 4 hour curing step.

The Tug Is The Drug

P1060161avrs.JPG.4cfec72f29b8d59afe85d0e7a9d85266.JPG

This is what happens to Devcon epoxy after a long time. This fly dried crystal clear when first made. They are my own fault though, from tying to many at once. If I use epoxy again, I will tie just what I need and only tie when one is lost or damaged. Takes some of the fun out of tying though, if you have to tie on a need basis.

100_1479.JPG

20 hours ago, mightyrime said:

i use solarez for surfboard repair.  It is seriously strong stuff.  Smelly when it cures fyi.

Right? Open a box w/ a bunch of flies made w/ it and you can't help but get a strong whiff of chemicals.I use Loon UV wader repair: no smell and nice finish.The online trading post has had a two tubes and a light deal for pennies on the dollar for a while now and I stocked up on a few.

My dentist says UV has a shelf life but maybe it's just the stuff he uses for teeth....?