RKG1

Help matching rod to reel

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I am looking to build a St Croix SCIV 7'6" 3 piece travel rod rated Heavy Fast for lures 3/4-3oz.  The rod will be used to throw soft plastic lures in the 1-1.5oz range for pargos and snappers, etc in the rocks along mexico shorelines.  Probably use 30-40lb braid. I have a Daiwa Saltist 4500 spinning reel that I would like to use on this rod if I can.  I previously was using that Saltist on my 10' St Croix travel surf rod.  That was a good fit.  Preferably I need to pick a reel before I build so I can use the  Fuji Concept guide layout system.  Any thoughts on whether that reel is an acceptable size for this rod? 

I think that reel is way to big, personally.  I used one on a heavy 10' rod for a while, and wouldn't want to use it on a 7'6 rod.

I have the 7'6 Avid and use a Penn Clash 4000.  Super light weight combo.  If you want to stick with the Saltist (better reel, imo), I'd go with the 3000 size.  

Also, check out the Fuji KR concept too.  If you test it against the NGC layout, I'd bet you will like the KR better.  At least worth checking out, imo.  Good luck!   

I am using Fuji KR, I just couldn't think of the name when I was typing!  I am concerned that reel is too big also, I just don't want it to be!  I don't have much use for it right now and would prefer not to by a new reel...

Posted (edited) · Report post

53 mins ago, Crabba said:

VR 50? Daiwa's new last year, back bay reel? Believe it's a 3000-3500 size

They have a 3000 and a 4000. I have the 3000, great little reel, but it might be too small for what he's looking for, as in it doesn't hold a lot of line. Especially if he's looking at using 40lb braid. Probably would only get about 150 yards on the 4000. I think they're the same reel, just different spools. Maybe @scoobydoo can verify that?

Edited by chitala383

Shimano stradic 5k should be a good fit. BTW, where can I find more info on the fuji concept spacing system? I'm currently building a 9' surf rod with fuji kw guides

Judging from your questions on the rod builders forum. I would suggest that you talk to an experience local rod builder first, or at least play with the factory rod at little before attempt to adjust the factory setup to your personal preference.  Building this rod is quite an ambitious project for a beginner if you have not use the same rod before. It's not the first rod I want to build for my first rod, certainly not one I would take on a long trip.  Just my opinion of course.

Hobobob, I agree with what you say.  I am a ways away from building any rod, still in the research process.  I have several projects in development stage so to speak and the travel rod is the last one to get built.  But a lot of the questions I am asking apply to all of the projects just to build the general knowledge base..

Saltist 4500 is a 22oz reel. And don't forget, it's probably the equivalent of a Shimano 6000 size.

I'd honestly rethink it for this application. Someone mentioned the Saltist Back Bay LT. 4000 size should be great. Light, powerful, better gearing. Fair pricing. Stradic FK 5000 would do well as well. 

I figured the back bay LT would be perfect. Minus his line weight wants. Am I missing something with the fish he is targeting needing 30-40lb braid. Seems like quite the sacrifice in line capacity for small reel to match his rod. Mentioned rocks but just stick with a heavier leader if your worried. I'd definitely say the stradic 5000 but would say add a half ft or ft to rod