Entry Doors

Rate this topic

Scallywag

3 hours ago, chessie_yaker said:

I’m not very knowledgeable about the aesthetic side of things, but for security I would go with a solid thermatrue door. Frame the opening tight to the frame dimensions so shimming would be minimal. Use a medeco deadbolt for the linger throw (bolt will go through door frame and into structural) and use #12x3” stainless screws through the hinges so they bite into structural as well. 

Good advice. I read an article a while back from a locksmith talking about the different common brand locks. The takeaway is Schlage is the only acceptable Homies lock. 

Just googled medeco... That's an expensive deadbolt! 

5 hours ago, Scallywag said:

Good advice. I read an article a while back from a locksmith talking about the different common brand locks. The takeaway is Schlage is the only acceptable Homies lock. 

Just googled medeco... That's an expensive deadbolt! 

Yeah Schlage is the quality standard. Medeco is another level though. Pick proof and the best deadbolt out there. The only drawbacks are the keys aren’t cheap and you have to go to a locksmith to get them cut. But no one is getting a copy made without your ID and signature. 

I’ve seen a therma door with the hinge install I described and that deadbolt laugh at two big boys with a breaching tool (ram). The guy told them if they stopped marking up his door he’d let them in. They did, so he did. Point of that story being it will keep almost everyone out. 

56 mins ago, chessie_yaker said:

Yeah Schlage is the quality standard. Medeco is another level though. Pick proof and the best deadbolt out there. The only drawbacks are the keys aren’t cheap and you have to go to a locksmith to get them cut. But no one is getting a copy made without your ID and signature. 

I’ve seen a therma door with the hinge install I described and that deadbolt laugh at two big boys with a breaching tool (ram). The guy told them if they stopped marking up his door he’d let them in. They did, so he did. Point of that story being it will keep almost everyone out. 

With my wife being the one in and out of the house most often, no one needs to worry about breaking down doors :dismay: