Scallywag

Entry Doors

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

Main question: Is it worth it to spend the money on a $1500 front door or will a sub $500 give me just as good results?

I need to replace a few more entry doors. I have learned the benefits of a Fiberglass door over a steel door. I have two front doors that I would like to match and spending $1500 on each is kinda crazy. 

Spend the money on the good doors if you are going to stay in the place long enough to use them.

They will only cost more later, and you won't have any more money then.

After you buy the cheapies, they break, and you have to replace them, you'll see.

Unless you are looking to just spruce the place up to sell, then cheap out..

Nah, definitely planning on staying in the house. 

The one door is on a slab and I had a lot of trouble replacing it the last time. Pretty sure the original was custom made for the space. Wouldn't even know where to begin with a custom door. I've only ever dealt with off the rack pre-hung doors. 

You want good doors. You want to reinforce them. Use longer screws. Get a dead bolt and chain. You don’t want a door that someone can easily force their way into. Your castle man. Make it hard for them. Make them work for it.

7 mins ago, Scallywag said:

Nah, definitely planning on staying in the house. 

The one door is on a slab and I had a lot of trouble replacing it the last time. Pretty sure the original was custom made for the space. Wouldn't even know where to begin with a custom door. I've only ever dealt with off the rack pre-hung doors. 

You begin with paying a lot more unfortunately 

12 mins ago, dena said:

Standard width, and a saw takes care of the length?

Height. Can't trim down most fiberglass doors or steel doors. I had to grind down the slab the last time to get that door in. Granted, if the next one is the exact dimensions, it won't be so bad. 

11 mins ago, Jdeadman66 said:

You want good doors. You want to reinforce them. Use longer screws. Get a dead bolt and chain. You don’t want a door that someone can easily force their way into. Your castle man. Make it hard for them. Make them work for it.

I install them myself. I use 3" screws to anchor the frame. No issue there. The door and the hinge construction is anoth matter, obviously. 

10 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

You begin with paying a lot more unfortunately 

Exactly. And though I'm saving money on labor (me doing it) I don't know anything about ordering custom doors. 

47 mins ago, Jdeadman66 said:

Whatever twinkle toes

1 hour ago, Scallywag said:

Exactly. And though I'm saving money on labor (me doing it) I don't know anything about ordering custom doors. 

Custom door would surprise me unless you know for a fact the original was an oddity (or you live in a 100+yr old home).  Not surprising someone may have installed a one-off in what was originally a standard RO.  Imagine your surprise if you learned later someone slapped a 2X at the head so that "cool" 3066 they picked up at a garage sale would work in the original 3068 standard rough.  A lot of aggravation and money to go custom if you didn't have to.

Anyway, metal doors are on the way out and regardless, a custom unit would be tough to even source.  Fiberglass is obviously a standard 6' 10-1/2" RO but a 6/6 is manufactured in limited styles (Therma-Tru for example definitely makes them and I believe Masonite has a line.  Jeld-Wen sucks but it's an option also).

I should have asked but assumed your dealing with a lower than normal height (width is a no brainer).  Listen, your casing is going to cover any minor surgery so chalk a line, neatly cut the sheetrock at the head and find out wear the bearing header is really at.  Maybe get lucky and there's a 2X nailed to the bottom of double header material.  Remove it and you might be back to standard.

This all assumes you don't have brick or masonry on the exterior capturing the RO.

1 hour ago, Scallywag said:

I would rather spend the afternoon taking Belmo to the Dentist than to hang an Exterior Door in March 

1 min ago, Jdeadman66 said:

Oh look what the cat dragged in. You must be a relation of Terry’s. 

Don;t ever say that again or the foot goes where the sun don't shine swiftly

14 mins ago, J Adams said:

Don;t ever say that again or the foot goes where the sun don't shine swiftly

I was gonna say you must be from the good side but now you can blow chunks Riff Raff!