stripers and trebles

Rate this topic

dynasty

I totally disagree with putting single hooks on a plug save for switching out the tail treble for a single siwash dressed with bucktail. And I do that mostly because the single dressed siwash adds action to the plug. If a plug demands belly trebles then I keep them even if its two. I may even go up one size on the trebles too. Imo, I believe that putting single, inline hooks on a large plug like a danny, junior, 7" red fin, etc is only asking for missed strikes. I also don't crush my barbs on hooks either. When I go fishing I like to catch and land fish.

Edited by VanStaalSteve

12 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I think I saw that video here somewhere.

he got hit after hit and they all got loose 'cept the last one.

it was a tsunami pencil which he liked and gave praise to.

as I said, I'll do more experiments and see how they perform.

if they do less they will become forgotten.

HH

John Skinner's video.

On all my big lures and plugs I crush down the barbs and to save some money I will usually cut two of the three hooks off of a treble hook making it a single hook. Then usually the following season I would swap the hooks...Most of my fishing is catch and release and I try to release the fish in the water...  Guys good luck ,Sy

21 hours ago, dynasty said:

Anybody else plan on switching out all trebles with single hooks and trying to use more lures with a single hook (bucktail etc).

I think crushed barbs are a no brainer

I fish with barbless single hooks only. Makes unhooking a breeze. Sometimes all you need to is give it slack and it'll come off. I still outfish my buddies with trebles and hooks with barbs.

"Long range" - CTS Vapor Trail 12ft 2-6oz, Shimano Stradic FL 5000, Powerpro Super Slick 8x V2 15lb.

"Light duty" - Daiwa Labrax AGS 106MH, Shimano Stradic CI4+ 4000, Florida Distance Premium 15lb braid

"Super duty" Blackhole Striped Bass Special 11ft 3/4-4oz, VS VR50

3 mins ago, StripedBasstardz said:

I fish with barbless single hooks only. Makes unhooking a breeze. Sometimes all you need to is give it slack and it'll come off. I still outfish my buddies with trebles and hooks with barbs.

Awesome to hear! thats what im hoping for

7 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I totally disagree with putting single hooks on a plug save for switching out the tail treble for a single siwash dressed with bucktail. And I do that mostly because the single dressed siwash adds action to the plug. If a plug demands belly trebles then I keep them even if its two. I may even go up one size on the trebles too. Imo, I believe that putting single, inline hooks on a large plug like a danny, junior, 7" red fin, etc is only asking for missed strikes. I also don't crush my barbs on hooks either. When I go fishing I like to catch and land fish.

Amen brother.

12 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Agreed, too many people are afraid to say something like this now.

Chasing false echoes

Send lawyers, guns, and money - Zevon

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro - Thompson 

DITCH TROLL 333

It's become popular to rig topwater baits with big single hooks here. It's especially common that the tail hook on stickbaits is a big single. It's done partly because it's thought it's better for the fish, but a big single tail hook can do serious harm to fish. It's because the gape is so much wider than that of a treble hook of the same weight.

15 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I use a heavy duty rods and get the fish in faster than what I normally see OTW.

most guys are fishing with freshwater sized lures and light rods that demand a longer fight thus beating on the fish a lot more.

with a decent current rolling along and large wood one needs a powerful rig to fish them.

as for redfins,I totally dislike them and will use a bomber or rebel instead.

VSS does it the way I'd do it.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

16 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Agreed, never had a problem with removing hooks from a fish and the hook up ratio is quite higher.

I use the singles/hookbucktail when it makes sense to. I remove back trebles on metal lips & topwater plugs often.  Some plugs it’s just not possible with regards to lost action and missed fish. ( sp minnow, redfin, yo-zuri)

Its a little sad to see so many guys put “themselves” or lost hookups ahead of this bass. This single hook method is a proven good practice. The least we can do is utilize single hooks  when it makes sense! 

Edited by jsbergen
Spelling