TimS

Organic vegetables

Rate this topic

238 posts in this topic

They have their own section in the super market. This may be related to the more than two genders thing :squid:

TimS

I'm as obnoxious as anyone in the world -- let me know if anyone here disagrees :D -- about the moral imperative of backyard gardeners being 100% organic.

But for big ag, forget it.

16 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Its marketing.  What better scam than to trick people in thinking their food is superior and make them pay more than double.  

Please tell me somewhere they are marketing 'vegetarian vegetables'...I didn't see them near the organic vegetables but I remain hopeful that they exist :)

Organic aint what it used to be but it is a sure way to avoid GMOs. I know I know there's no evidence GMOs are bad, get back to me when an actual study to determine that has been made.

9 mins ago, TimS said:

Please tell me somewhere they are marketing 'vegetarian vegetables'...I didn't see them near the organic vegetables but I remain hopeful that they exist :)

They're next to the Vegan Vegetables but are often looked down upon

9 mins ago, fishinambition said:

Organic aint what it used to be but it is a sure way to avoid GMOs. I know I know there's no evidence GMOs are bad, get back to me when an actual study to determine that has been made.

Every plant you eat is genetically modified. For real.

2 mins ago, fishinambition said:

No theyre not. 

Saving seed from open-pollinated tomatoes is genetically modifying plants. Humans have been doinf that for thousands of years.

You mean lab GMO. But at a basic genetic level, every plant you wat has been genetically modified by humans.

Just now, Belmo said:

Saving seed from open-pollinated tomatoes is genetically modifying plants. Humans have been doinf that for thousands of years.

You mean lab GMO. But at a basic genetic level, every plant you wat has been genetically modified by humans.

Per the accepted definition of GMO, it requires the splicing of genes.  Seedless watermelons (among many othets) do not meet that criteria. Its consequences are unknown and until it is known Id be very hesitant to criticize anyone who doesnt wish to be part of what could prove to be a very sick and twisted experiment. GMOs are developed for economic reasons, not health. That's fine. Maybe our produce is one of the extremely rare items not subject to tradeoffs. 

28 mins ago, Belmo said:

Every plant you eat is genetically modified. For real.

Thank you.

Corn is just a grass that Mayans modified into corn.