Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bridgerat

Youth sports and expectations

Rate this topic

130 posts in this topic

I was talking to some parents at a party over the weekend. Skiing and snowboarding was the topic since a few of us were at Mt Snow the weekend prior. A parent of a freshman in HS says my kid really wants to try snowboarding but I won’t let her because I’m afraid she’ll get hurt and ruin her chances of a D1 ride. His daughter plays varsity soccer and  basketball in our local HS which is impressive since there’s 900 kids per class.

I thought it was a little harsh but my wife says that’s just one of the sacrifices. I could see if the kid was a junior with offers already but a freshman? 

Posted (edited) · Report post

buy an insurance policy on the kid and let her go snowboarding.

In all seriousness, I could understand his reasoning.  Question I have is how good of a student is the kid?  Wouldn't academics be the driving force of getting into a college with athletics the gravy?

Edited by Heron25

4 hours ago, bridgerat said:

I was talking to some parents at a party over the weekend. Skiing and snowboarding was the topic since a few of us were at Mt Snow the weekend prior. A parent of a freshman in HS says my kid really wants to try snowboarding but I won’t let her because I’m afraid she’ll get hurt and ruin her chances of a D1 ride. His daughter plays varsity soccer and  basketball in our local HS which is impressive since there’s 900 kids per class.

I thought it was a little harsh but my wife says that’s just one of the sacrifices. I could see if the kid was a junior with offers already but a freshman? 

anyone who is a two sport starter as a freshman, needs to cull their chances of getting hurt. short of some Podunk school, if you start two sports as a freshman, your chances of getting a ride, at least d2, is very, very high...almost expected. they'd be silly to take chances. 

7 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

anyone who is a two sport starter as a freshman, needs to cull their chances of getting hurt. short of some Podunk school, if you start two sports as a freshman, your chances of getting a ride, at least d2, is very, very high...almost expected. they'd be silly to take chances. 

I guess it makes sense in a financial scenario but where do you draw the line? No skiing.  No ice skating? No water skiing/tubing? No riding waves at the beach? Doctors note to exempt from PE? These are all things I’ve seen kids get hurt doing but are also a ton of fun.

My sons friend blew his ACL playing bball in PE and my daughter’s friend shattered an ankle slipping off a diving board at a pool party.

Life is supposed to be fun at 15. 

1 hour ago, bridgerat said:

I guess it makes sense in a financial scenario but where do you draw the line? No skiing.  No ice skating? No water skiing/tubing? No riding waves at the beach? Doctors note to exempt from PE? These are all things I’ve seen kids get hurt doing but are also a ton of fun.

My sons friend blew his ACL playing bball in PE and my daughter’s friend shattered an ankle slipping off a diving board at a pool party.

I draw the line at being able to write off the crippling debt that the vast majority of people that don't/can't get a free ride through school.

If she can make the 80-250k another way, besides the sports avenue... then by all means, lace up the boots and hit the slopes.  Is there a nicely funded 529? What's the intended course of study/career path?  There's lots of information and choices that need to be made... some now, some later.

It's unfortunate that this type of choice has to be made between 'letting the kid be a kid' and making a decision that could have life-altering impact.

14 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

agree. College is expensive.

Edited by Joe

Growing up without being aloud to be a kid must suck.

A freshman starter is something to be proud of but definitely no ticket.  I coach and I can tell you that it has a lot more to do with intangibles as they grow.  That and at that age kids develop at different rates.....some are ahead of the curve.  They get caught.  Promise.

19 hours ago, bridgerat said:

Youth Sports expectations :laugh: , nah. My first experience was at a youth hockey game when I went into the rink and a guy was at the boards pounding on the glass , talking to the goalie who turned out to be his daughter, "How do you expect to make D1 playing like that ?!??!?!?!??!".

Kid was 8, on a B team :laugh:

5 mins ago, Kbetts said:

A freshman starter is something to be proud of but definitely no ticket.  I coach and I can tell you that it has a lot more to do with intangibles as they grow.  That and at that age kids develop at different rates.....some are ahead of the curve.  They get caught.  Promise.

Yep.

19 mins ago, Kbetts said:

I agree. I coach as well and see that all the time especially in the freshman/sophomore age bracket. Many kids are held back a year before starting kindergarten so they’re actually up to a year older than their classmates. They hit puberty earlier and that can be mistaken for advanced size/coordination.

C'mon.

This girl is going to be playing hoops/soccer virtually every day at a competitive level in practices and games, right?

The odds that she will injure herself doing that are probably 1000x greater than she will one of the few times she goes snowboarding.

It's life.

Let her be a kid.

IDK, having been around many prospective “D1” athletes, the odds are still stacked against them.  Some of these early phenoms either stop progressing or burn out.  

Unless it’s the kids decision to not participate in sports or activities outside the one(s) they are excelling, I would not prevent them from doing things like snowboarding, surfing, etc.  

Sometimes it’s easy to allow yourself to get caught up in one path or destiny, and ignore all the other possibilities.  You’re only a teenager once, life shouldn’t be solely focused on the unicorn of the D1 athletic scholarship.

7 hours ago, bridgerat said:

it would be an ongoing thing. obviously cant bubble wrap them but id do my best to limit their exposure. 

50 mins ago, Kbetts said:

I kid who never skied not getting into it at HS age isn't really denying them anything. if the kid skied its whole life, and loved it, and you take it away at the freshman year, that's different and something I don't think anyone would do. limiting new activities is different. and I wouldnt say anyone would truly not let them, but just have a conversation about it, cost benefit wise. most kids that are starting two sports at the varsity level, as a freshman, are generally driven enough in those sports, or one of them, to understand the situation. kids aren't too dumb.

Edited by HugeDinghy

25 mins ago, cartopper said:

IDK, having been around many prospective “D1” athletes, the odds are still stacked against them.  Some of these early phenoms either stop progressing or burn out.  

Unless it’s the kids decision to not participate in sports or activities outside the one(s) they are excelling, I would not prevent them from doing things like snowboarding, surfing, etc.  

Sometimes it’s easy to allow yourself to get caught up in one path or destiny, and ignore all the other possibilities.  You’re only a teenager once, life shouldn’t be solely focused on the unicorn of the D1 athletic scholarship.

there are a ton of excellent academic division two schools that give full rides, not just D1. 

I’m on the let the kid be a kid side. If she is that good of an athlete, she may a future snow boarding star and not even know it.