DoorGunner

Winner of the float rig.

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

Number pulled was 2 and it's Coolhandfluke. Please contact me with your information. 

Thanks to everyone who tried.

Here is a decent shot of the float rig setup. This was a joke pic a few years back when I got frustrated when winter wouldn't bail out. Short leadered hook to a snap swivel and a couple of split shots. Line passes right through the float and notice the small orange spot about an inch above the float. This is the stopper thats made out of rubber that fits snug to the line. You can use your fingers and slide it up or down and it will pass right through your guides. If I'm fishing in twenty feet of water I just set the stopper at about eighteen feet. After the line slides through the float the stopper will hit the top of the float and stop any more line from passing through. Now I know my bait is about two feet off the bottom and away from the crabs, weeds, snags and many of the so called trash fish. Summer flounder are usually on the bottom but always looking up and just can't seem to resist an easy meal passing right over their head.

I anchor up in one of my favorite spots and just let the rig do the drifting for me. Windy days are no problem because the float isn't effected and will go straight down current and I can do well over a hundred yards of line and still see the float. Easy to cast because the float will be all the way down to the split shots. Hits the water and the weight of the hook, bait, snap swivel and shot pull the line right through the float to the stopper. Equally as important is the float keeps sliding down as you fight your fish and is never in the way.

Sends a charge through you when you see the float just vanish when a fish strikes. Total fun.    351.JPG.e594a567bcdd497fa561fca4f848584f.JPG

Hmmm, Gotta try to get me some of those goodies.  Any particular brand of float/stoppers you use?  Want to find out what to look for.

Thanks.  Hope to see you on Great Bay.

59 mins ago, Spigola said:

Hmmm, Gotta try to get me some of those goodies.  Any particular brand of float/stoppers you use?  Want to find out what to look for.

Thanks.  Hope to see you on Great Bay.

They are called Gummi Stops and come 27 on a ring. Easy to put on. These are the stops and the two different size floats I put in a pack.

Image result for pics of gummy bobber stops

39 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

thank you :).   I think we have some time before fluke get going.

I have been using mine in freshwater since January 1st and doing great on pickerel, crappie and yellow perch. Has a lot more applications than just flounder. Use it and learn.

If your having trouble finding the components to set up this very productive rig , try a supplier who caters to walleye fisherman . It’s a very popular technique when using live bait for walleyes . Doorgunner, I look forward to your informative and entertaining posts , thank you , have a safe , productive & healthy season . Bill J

It does but I just love a big fat minnow on a bare hook. Have used small jigs and produced very well but I think anything will if we can just keep the hook suspended a few feet. It's a kill zone.