ChewyBrigantine

Live Eels question

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

I started to fish live eels a lot more in the last 1.5 years. I have a few spots that have drop offs that go down to 20-25 feet from shore. I know this question may sound stupid but are unweighted eels gonna get down that deep or should i be adding a little weight to get them down? 

thanks,,- chewy

Chewy, Prior to 9-11, I had a spot that got deep fast . Depending on conditions , I would add an egg sinker on the running line ahead of a 18” piece of leader material attached with a swivel & bead ahead of the swivel ,fishing the eel like an artificial . Another method was to add a an appropriate sized trolling weight 12-18” ahead of the eel , again fished like an artificial. There are other was to fish eels , however this method was simple & effective in my situation . Hope this helps. Bill Jo

8 mins ago, oneeyewilly said:

Chewy, Prior to 9-11, I had a spot that got deep fast . Depending on conditions , I would add an egg sinker on the running line ahead of a 18” piece of leader material attached with a swivel & bead ahead of the swivel ,fishing the eel like an artificial . Another method was to add a an appropriate sized trolling weight 12-18” ahead of the eel , again fished like an artificial. There are other was to fish eels , however this method was simple & effective in my situation . Hope this helps. Bill Jo

Thanks thats exactly what i was thinking. Ill give it a try this year