Casting Egg

Rate this topic

salt deficient

1 hour ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Extremely productive way to catch bass in the daytime hours. Possibly the best “searching lure” for stripers in all types of water. Great way to deliver a small bucktail ( or small sluggo , finess fish , fly , etc) a long distance . It’s been around since the ‘60s but not many contemporary surf guys utilize them. 

9E5709A6-19B0-487C-B9F3-3937465532F1.jpeg

D749CC5A-0830-4BF2-B7A6-0F7E32CDBACA.jpeg

Steve-

I was thinking about any 5" or 6" rubber (sluggo, jerkbait, minnow, etc.) hooked on the egg.  I like to hook my rubber with short shanked hooks so that the bait can swim as freely as possible giving them a serpentine type swimming motion, if possible.  Let me ask you.......how would this work using the casting egg?  I'm envisioning the majority of the bait's weight would be after the hook bend which wouldn't sit tight on the egg nail before launching a cast.  It would sort of slip off, again, due to the bait's weight not being located underneath the egg's "nail set". 

29 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

Steve-

I was thinking about any 5" or 6" rubber (sluggo, jerkbait, minnow, etc.) hooked on the egg.  I like to hook my rubber with short shanked hooks so that the bait can swim as freely as possible giving them a serpentine type swimming motion, if possible.  Let me ask you.......how would this work using the casting egg?  I'm envisioning the majority of the bait's weight would be after the hook bend which wouldn't sit tight on the egg nail before launching a cast.  It would sort of slip off, again, due to the bait's weight not being located underneath the egg's "nail set". 

Yogi, my buddy Dave uses the egg with soft plastic rig a lot and puts a single hook in them. He doesn’t have a problem casting them ? He “jigs”  the egg on the retrieve so the soft plastic has side to side or erratic action. He does well with this setup in the bay when there are silver sides around. Good luck 

Edited by VanStaalSteve

4 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Yogi, my buddy Dave uses the egg with soft plastic rig a lot and puts a single hook in them. He doesn’t have a problem casting them ? He “jigs”  the egg on the retrieve so the soft plastic has side to side or erratic action. He does well with this setup in the bay when there are silver sides around. Good luck 

do you know how far he threads that hook in the soft plastic?  Because, again, with a short shank hook that measures at most 1.5" the remaining 4.5" is hanging off of the nail on the egg........don't know how, under that situation, the soft plastic will stay on during the cast.......

Edited by yogiiiboy

I know last year Al Gag gave a whole seminar at the RISSA show on how to use it with his baits. I think hes doing it again this year.

If you aren't fishing on the edge, you are probably blocking the channel.

2 hours ago, XBMX said:

Instead of the nail drill a 1/8in. angled hole to accept the hook point.

I do something similar.  I drill several holes in the top of a craft egg.  It's important to go shallow on the drilling so the hook doesn't get stuck.  I also found the egg flies further and more stable with this orientation, especially with flies.  I've made bigger ones and casted up to 1.5 oz bucktails on them.  Sometimes you get an extra long cast when the hook stays put until the egg impacts the water.  It can be a really good tactic when you want to fish bigger bucktails/jigs in shallow water.20190305_235639.jpg.05d85f6801fdfcae8dc5bb38dc31c148.jpg

9 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

do you know how far he threads that hook in the soft plastic?  Because, again, with a short shank hook that measures at most 1.5" the remaining 4.5" is hanging off of the nail on the egg........don't know how, under that situation, the soft plastic will stay on during the cast.......

He uses stuff like this with the egg. 

1B1D5B8D-2994-4FCA-9D09-2C7E07F24512.jpeg

Edited by VanStaalSteve

15 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Extremely productive way to catch bass in the daytime hours. Possibly the best “searching lure” for stripers in all types of water. Great way to deliver a small bucktail ( or small sluggo , finess fish , fly , etc) a long distance .

^ Couldnt agree more.  Love them.  Use corks and the like in fresh as well.

14 hours ago, cow tamer said:

Popper works in place of the egg as well.

Yep.  Thing snapperPoppers but bigger.

9 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

I’m going to ask a very stupid question:

-Could a magnetized nail be useful?

I think you may be onto something useful there.

6 hours ago, gorkmonster said:

I do something similar.  I drill several holes in the top of a craft egg.  It's important to go shallow on the drilling so the hook doesn't get stuck. 

!!  So easy, so simple, and never did it.  I was sticking the hook in and when it was coming back the same way I casted, I stopped doing that and didnt bother with a little pre drilled hole.  Nice.  Will try it.  thanks.

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

When you tie a bucktail to the casting egg when it hits the water how do you retrieve it.  

Really, however you want.  You wont feel the bottom the same as if bucktailing, but the motion of the water/float will move the buck veritcally.  You take care of horizontal.  

Just mix it up and see what they like that day.  I often fall into:  

cast, let it sit.  pop-pop, reel a few cranks, let it sit.  twitch.  reel some more.  repeat.

7 hours ago, gorkmonster said:

I do something similar.  I drill several holes in the top of a craft egg.  It's important to go shallow on the drilling so the hook doesn't get stuck.  I also found the egg flies further and more stable with this orientation, especially with flies.  I've made bigger ones and casted up to 1.5 oz bucktails on them.  Sometimes you get an extra long cast when the hook stays put until the egg impacts the water.  It can be a really good tactic when you want to fish bigger bucktails/jigs in shallow water.20190305_235639.jpg.05d85f6801fdfcae8dc5bb38dc31c148.jpg

Great idea