salt deficient

Casting Egg

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

This doesn't seem to be a modern way of fishing.   Doesn't mean it don't work either......

Having trouble finding much info on where to get casting eggs, and how to rig them.   Also, how deep to rig them, assuming normal surf. Lets assume casting a good ways out is 8ft deep.

I don't need pretty ones necesarily.   Anyone make homemade ones without a lathe.   Like chunks of dowel?

I find this technique of fishing to be very productive on Stripers and Blues..   It allows me to get distance on casting streamers and surgical tubes....It's almost like fishing any lure. Cast it and then retrieve it... 

1 min ago, sytheteacher said:

I find this technique of fishing to be very productive on Stripers and Blues..   It allows me to get distance on casting streamers and surgical tubes or diamond jig and keeping them near the surface....It's almost like fishing any lure. Cast it and then retrieve it... 

Should be a ton of them in Craft Stores with Easter coming up next month.  Rigging can be as simple as strong screw-eyes or drilling them and wire thru.

22 mins ago, salt deficient said:

Having trouble finding much info on where to get casting eggs, and how to rig them. 

Salty's makes pretty good casting eggs. I've used their 1 oz & 2 oz eggs. If you google "Salty's casting eggs" their website comes up near the top of the search.

The craft stores have them there 1.29 most people use like 2 feet but you can go longer I’ve used shads small ones with the eggs as long as the egg floats your good jigs/flies/anything

I saw Al Gag's had them at the Ward Melville show as well. Just made a few for myself with a craft egg, through wire and epoxy - came out to about 1.3 oz. I've also seen folks on here recommend using a weighted plastic bobber. 

My plan is to use a teaser or fly type lures on them in the spring for smaller bass. 

Years ago I weighted one for distance and used 2 feet of mono to a 3/8 oz jig we put a finish nail in the egg to hang the jig on when it hits the water jig falls off ..... but with a weighted egg the jig falls off messing up your cast . With a fly it don’t matter I never guite under stood why but if the egg go’s faster than the jig the jig ,it falls off the nail  with out the weight the lead jig go’s faster than the egg( or is heavier) than a wood egg and the jig stays on

Posted (edited) · Report post

Extremely productive way to catch bass in the daytime hours. Possibly the best “searching lure” for stripers in all types of water. Great way to deliver a small bucktail ( or small sluggo , finess fish , fly , etc) a long distance . It’s been around since the ‘60s but not many contemporary surf guys utilize them. 

9E5709A6-19B0-487C-B9F3-3937465532F1.jpeg

D749CC5A-0830-4BF2-B7A6-0F7E32CDBACA.jpeg

Edited by VanStaalSteve

They can be very productive getting a fly or light jig out there , i got mine at a craft store drill through them then wired , they work great i always keep one in the bag!0D72A46E-DC9A-492C-8D51-61303F940666.jpeg.a4ec188ffb3066ac80afc3a35352a243.jpeg

25557C85-D58D-45DB-97B5-8A3D50216001.jpeg

Not sure where you are located @salt deficient but if you happen to be in the ME/NH area I know Kittery Trading Post has them, along with a bunch of other stuff you don't find at your run-of-the-mill sporting goods stores.